Apron sink in corner cabinet - how to get countertop around?

ChiefMonica

Hello! I'm trying to place an apron sink in a corner cabinet and can't figure out how to get countertop material to appear around the sink. The sink is sitting on top of my (lowered) cabinet, as it should. I've removed the countertop altogether so that the sink's not sitting on top of it - but then of course I have no countertop on either side of or behind the sink.

This issue seems like it would apply to apron sinks not being placed in a corner as well, since you would almost always need countertop material behind the apron sink, even if it's in a rectangular cabinet (you wouldn't want your sink jutting up against the wall/backsplash). So I imagine this has been resolved for non-corner applications.

I'm attaching a screenshot of my current plan in 3D, plus a snapshot of what I'm going for. Note - I do want the edge of my sink to sit ABOVE the countertop - it will not be under, or flush with, the countertop. Many apron sinks are installed so that the countertop runs over their edges; in my case, I will want the sink to sit about 1 inch above the countertop.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can provide! FYI - I'm using Home Designer Interiors 2016 on a Mac.

Monica

post-10749-0-71458200-1457906991_thumb.png

post-10749-0-53880100-1457906992_thumb.png

Use to custom counter top tool to form the counter top around the sink. Sounds like you floated the sink in place, not actually placed in the cabinet. Just adjust the height of the sink to get the exposure to the counter top correct and the adjust the cabinet height to align with the sink bottom.

Graham

Monica:

Here's a plan with my stab at your corner sink.  You will note that I had to adjust the height of the sink I used with Transform/Replicate and also that I used a reduced-height sink base with the drawer area deleted.  When I did this, it created a gap on either side of the sink where an extended stile is needed.  The base is 36" wide while the sink is 33.5" wide [i probably should have used 33" instead].  The base cabinet stiles are the 1.5" wide default value.  I used partitions I placed in the plan to fill the gaps on each side of the sink ...  positioned using the Point to Point move tool and resized (L x W) .... only placed one and then copied/reflect about center of cabinet to get the one on the other side.  If you go to the project browser and look at the cross section camera view, you can see how I resized the height of those partition fillers next to the sink sides [the red oval areas].  Also in the cross section camera view you can see how the toe kicks didn't join .... this might be an X8 bug .... I didn't report it or do any other testing to see if I could repeat the problem in another plan or instance.  I did create a custom countertop by selecting all 3 cabinets and then clicking on the custom countertop tool.  I had to edit the shape using the line break tool for the sink and had to drag one of the handles to the corner to fill in behind the sink.

Hope this helps.  Not perfect ... others may do this differently.  I am not the greatest with symbols so there might be something better that can be done with the sink I used to get it to cut a hole in the countertop and also to get it to set at the desired elevation without all the manual manipulation I did. 

Here's a ray trace of the results:

post-191-0-87195400-1457974916_thumb.jpg

Here's the plan file for my experiment:

Corner Farm House Sink Text.zip