remove sparkles from Ray Trace image

ThomasM

Go to solution Solved by TheKitchenAbode,

Hello,

I am trying to stop the sparkles that have started to appear during Ray Trace. 
I searched every menu I thought would lead me to the answer with no luck.

I did shut off shadows in perspective floor view but the shadows appear during ray trace ( don't want them to)
I also shut off shadows in the perspective FV and that might have something to do with the sparkles.  also the ceilings were removed already.

the picture is attached.

thank you

Tom

post-10406-0-46295200-1457882785_thumb.jpg

Looks like a lighting issue. Suspect you are relying on the light fixtures (table lamps) to light your entire scene. You likely need to add some 3D area lights to increase the overall ambient lighting. If you are using your camera view settings in the Raytrace DBX you could also try increasing the light settings in the 3D view settings. I never use the camera view settings for Raytracing but I know many do.

Just out of interest how many passes and how long are you running this for.

Also, if you post the plan it would be easier to make some more specific suggestions.

Graham

Looks like a lighting issue. Suspect you are relying on the light fixtures (table lamps) to light your entire scene. You likely need to add some 3D area lights to increase the overall ambient lighting. If you are using your camera view settings in the Raytrace DBX you could also try increasing the light settings in the 3D view settings. I never use the camera view settings for Raytracing but I know many do.

Also, if you post the plan it would be easier to make some more specific suggestions.

Graham

I have deleted the lights and was still getting it.  I forgot how many passes.  I did several tests and each one was a different length of time. never less than 10 and could have gone up to 30.  I shut all the lights off and adjusted the sun.

the sparkles are gone but I cant get rid of what looks like the fun shining right smack in the middle of the layout.  I have been changing the sun but that thing just stays there.  I also put shadows back on but adjust the sun so that there is very little shadow from sun light.  ok I will post the plan.. thank you

thank you

Tom

Graham

post-10406-0-58478900-1457886474_thumb.jpg

now it seems that no matter what I do the apartment stays dark.  the sun is set no matter what the settings tilt angle and direction angle and restoring defaults have no effect.

I opened up a new camera window and have control over the sun again.  the reason for the sun being in the middle was because that is where I put it to get rid of shadows without turning shadows off.  I didn't have the sparkle problem until I shut off shadow's.  I updated drivers on video card last night.

• Solution

Ok, first problem, sparkles has been resolved. Now lets get rid of the high intensity sun light.

- Open Raytrace DBX

- Click "Edit"

- Select "Lighting"

- Uncheck "Use Camera View Settings"

- Set "Use Ambient Occlusion", min = 0.1, max = 10

- Set "Direct Sunlight = 0

- Uncheck "Enable Environmental Lighting"

- Select "Advanced"

- Uncheck "Photon Mapping"

Run a Raytrace now and post image.

Graham

"Lighting", set "Direct Sun Light" =0, uncheck

Ok, first problem, sparkles has been resolved. Now lets get rid of the high intensity sun light.

- Open Raytrace DBX

- Click "Edit"

- Select "Lighting"

- Uncheck "Use Camera View Settings"

- Set "Use Ambient Occlusion", min = 0.1, max = 10

- Set "Direct Sunlight = 0

- Uncheck "Enable Environmental Lighting"

- Select "Advanced"

- Uncheck "Photon Mapping"

Run a Raytrace now and post image.

Graham

"Lighting", set "Direct Sun Light" =0, uncheck

that was very nice of you.  this is a very complicated program.   most programs I have been able to teach myself (what I needed from them)  Photoshop, premiere, dream weaver, MS office,  the only time I was unable to teach myself was

when trying to build an online database using PHP.  I latterly sat there till I got frozen shoulder lol.  I did not think this program would be so difficult.  ok got a view from the Ray Trace.  walls look very reflective and the floors are now very dark.

ray trace pass 82.0

No problem.

Lets fix that floor. In camera view use the material selector and click on the floor. Select properties and chang it from polished to reflective and set the reflection to about 6%.

Run again, set Raytrace to 10 pass limit. That will be enough to judge the effect.

Post pic.

Graham

to learn which setting caused the floor to turn so dark.. I am redoing the adjustments one at a time

took me a while but I think I found it.  that tool is now called Adjust Material Definition tool.  seems like Ray Trace is working much faster now.

you have helped me more than you realize.  this was very important for me to have something to show today.

post-10406-0-89777800-1457890339_thumb.jpg

Sorry I was absent, had a client meeting.

Hey! Looks pretty good. Congratulations.

Just a suggestion, always use those base settings to start with. Just make sure to have all of your lights turned off. You can add these back and adjust for them after you get the overall ambient lighting correct. Think in the terms that each type of lighting is layered, ambient first, light fixtures second and then the exterior lighting effect. You will also notice that you can significantly reduce your Raytrace times and develop a more methodical and predictable Raytrace strategy. It's not really as difficult as you may have been led to believe.

Graham

just as a test I did a ray trace on another layout that didn't have sparkles.  I am getting them even on this one.
I brought back everything to default that I can and still getting the sparkles.  can this some how be related to my updating my video card drivers?
might be a very silly question but it is the only thing I can think of.  no biggie I will use the settings that Graham gave me. if I get the chance I would like to know
why all of a sudden this is happening.  I am pretty sure this is the same way it was last time I ray traced it with out a problem.  its not very important for me to find out
just curious.... as I am still working.  I actually like talking about this stuff.

Tom

Tom, the issue is related to lighting only. Also, the settings I provided are very basic settings. Just remember to turn off all light sources or these settings may not resolve the problem. Bringing the light sources back in will likely require some other adjustments to get the scene to Raytrace correctly.

Graham

Tom, the issue is related to lighting only. Also, the settings I provided are very basic settings. Just remember to turn off all light sources or these settings may not resolve the problem. Bringing the light sources back in will likely require some other adjustments to get the scene to Raytrace correctly.

Graham

no need for me to use lights.  these settings are giving me amazing results. and yes, I am starting to understand that this software has a lot to offer and like someone else mentioned - doing this is a form of art and I like it.  I have lots of questions but try to figure them out on my own and for the most part only ask for help when its time sensitive.  if you ever come to New York I would like to buy you a drink. fyi.. I just tried the link in your profile and it doesn't work.

Tom

Thanks Tom - Just corrected my link, that was my e-mail address.

Appreciate the New York offer, but I first have to go to Wasillan Alaska to thank Michael (Alaskan_Son) for his support. Owe him a King Crab lunch.

In the settings I provided, you can also use the "Uniform Intensity" instead of the "Ambient Occlusion". This functions as an overall brightness control, use 5.0 to start and then just adjust up or down for the desired look.

When your ready to tackle some lights let me know, would be pleased to assist.

Graham

im going to take a break and think about eating King Crab in Alaska.  I am working on a few other projects but would love to work more with this program.
I am the type of person that isn't really happy unless I am doing my best and always open to those that would share how to do things better.

I wonder why I am unable to up load the plan - was told file was too large but it is small as far as plans go.

Tom
King Crab