Modern Design

timmy123

Several methods depending on the desired panel layout and overall look you're going for. Here are a few.

- Polyline solids. Probably what I would do.

- Material regions. Could be used for either the panels or maybe for the gaps between panels.

- A custom material/texture.

Wall material regions would be PERFECT if they could be used around the corner.  I requested CA add this ability but I guess we'll see.

What i've done to get around this is to use the material region for the wall panels and then use the same thickness and material corner boards.  I turn off the line for the corner-board to vector it looks seamless.  It works but really want CA to fix this for wall material regions since its not even like you can put 2 material regions together on a corner - they end up automatically being cut at edge.

post-75-0-14824800-1457834072_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-22309600-1457834076_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-89950400-1457834422_thumb.jpg

Wall material regions would be PERFECT if they could be used around the corner.  I requested CA add this ability but I guess we'll see.

I agree, and I believe I also suggested the same thing some time back.  Material regions, custom backsplashes, etc. really need to extend to the outside finished corner.

I work with this material a couple of times a year. I ended up using Stucco and then use poly solids as said by Michael. After I finish faking it in CA, I end up doing a lot of ACAD drawing work on the elevations & sections to make the CDs work properly. Would be nice if CA added this material to the wall systems.

I work with this material a couple of times a year. I ended up using Stucco and then use poly solids as said by Michael. After I finish faking it in CA, I end up doing a lot of ACAD drawing work on the elevations & sections to make the CDs work properly. Would be nice if CA added this material to the wall systems.

I'd like to see an example of one of those plans if you're willing to post it (both the plan file and layout or CDs). If done properly with polyline solids there should be no reason you have to do the extra CAD work. In fact, I would probably use CAD work as the basis for my polyline solids anyway so the 2 should match perfectly.

I can't do it. Contractor I draw for doesn't want his drawings posted anywhere...

I honestly don't really care one way or another in this situation, but I find it interesting when people say things like that.  Does the contractor you work for buy exclusive and total rights to your work?  Also, you don't even have to post the entire plan in most circumstances.  Just do a Save As and delete all the unnecessary stuff.  In this particular instance for example all we might really need to see is a stripped down plan with a few walls and a screenshot of one of the wall details. 

Its all good though. 

Here's a video going over a pretty quick and accurate way to model that type of siding using polyline solids produced via CDFV (CAD Detail From View). While I was proof watching the video I realized I did some things kinda inefficiently near the end (could have used some simpler methods for the group selecting and subtraction process) but it should give you a pretty good idea anyway.

• Upvote 1

Yes Michael exclusive rights. I know it's unusual, but it's been a good relationship. He pays me per use of each plan, on top of the original development costs. After five years, all rights revert back to me as the plan times out. At which time we resign a contract for another 5 years, or it goes into my files for use by myself at a later date. If a plan requires updating on siding, or walls adjusted during that five years, I have exclusive rights to the changes. If it means I can't post his plans, I'm OK with it.

Hi Michael,

Excellent video. I did a similar thing with polyline solids. But had to individually add smaller panels around doors and windows. I really liked how you went to CAD and subtracted the doors and windows from the panels.

Thanks again.