Condoc walls

johnny

I am trying to control the wall appearance in CDs - I dont like seeing all the wall layers.  However, in my design process I think its good to see all the layers.  Should I be trying to control the visual with layers and settings, or should I have wall types setup the way I want visually and change them all later?

Johnny,

Do it with layers and a new layer set.

No need for new wall definitions - that could get messy.

I would think that unchecking "Walls, Layers" layer would do exactly what you want.

Walls, Main Layer Only will not display the total wall width, "Walls, Layers" will.

...I would think that unchecking "Walls, Layers" layer would do exactly what you want.

Walls, Main Layer Only will not display the total wall width, "Walls, Layers" will.

I think Glenn might be right.  That's probably the better idea.  Maybe that coupled with a wall hatch will get you what you want.  Hard to say without actually seeing how you want your walls to display.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I tried doing that (turning off layers) and using the hatch wall command that I actually really like - all but the walls show from outside siding to outside drywall - which isn't ideal, since framers and dimensions typically go to face of rough framing. 

Since you guys seem to all recommend that perhaps its me doing something wrong.

post-75-0-92803500-1457665131_thumb.jpg

I think the reason they did that is because there's really no good way to do it otherwise. You can't make the main layer a layer of its own because the next wall layer over shares a line with it. Seems silly but I'm not sure what the better solution would be.

I think the reason they did that is because there's really no good way to do it otherwise. You can't make the main layer a layer of its own because the next wall layer over shares a line with it. Seems silly but I'm not sure what the better solution would be.

Yeah, its all good just curious.  Unless all layers have some ability we dont fully understand or they hard-coded a single layer (though maybe others?) to act this way. 

This one threw me off in the beginning as well, inconsistent behavior but it does the trick. Ideally Chief is working on something like view modes so that we may show poche or wiggly lines with creating weird wall types.

It would also be nice if we could apply a hatch to only the main layer so that in plan view you could display the fill style, but in a framing plan the wall's fill pattern would be off so that symbols representing such things as hardware could be displayed.

It would also be nice if we could apply a hatch to only the main layer so that in plan view you could display the fill style, but in a framing plan the wall's fill pattern would be off so that symbols representing such things as hardware could be displayed.

That might be nice.  In the meantime, you can do that pretty easily by creating a CAD mask for the wall hatching.  Just give your wall definition the desired hatch and then...

-  Turn off all layers except the Walls, Normal, and Walls, Main Layer Only layers

-  Create a CAD Detail From View

-  Group Select all the line work, put it onto a unique layer and then Copy/Paste Hold Position back into the plan

-  Change your wall definitions back to what they were to remove the fill

The hatches of course would have to updated with any changes to the walls so you might want to wait till a little later in the game to do that.