Is there a way to Export/Import Story Pole Dim Defaults?

SMCDesign

I posted a response but deleted it as I realized it wasn't going to work for what you want.  I can't figure out any good way to do that.  I don't believe those particular defaults can be imported or exported.  Not perfect, but I think your best bet might be to open your template plan, do a Save As, import all your default settings from the other plan using Import Default Settings, and then use Edit Area (All Floors) to copy and paste everything from the old plan into the new plan.

• 4 months later...

the programmers at CA would do well to start asking and engaging with us users by using/desiging/testing the software as it is used in the real world,

instead of little test cases.

this is just one example.

there are a lot of items that cannot be copied/imported from one .plan file to another - a real p.i.t.a.

as a suggestions, how about for x9 we tidy up this area and present to the user a panel of information, with radio buttons for them to select what parts of the plan they want to import/export.

eg

export:

layer sets

anno sets

ref sets

text styles

story poles

blah blah blah.

a good example is a plan file that you have worked on say prior, (0-3-6-9-12-24-36 mnths ago).

you want to use that floorplan again, (or something close to it) but in that time period, your drawing method and systems have improved.

a new version of CA has come along,

you've started using new features, (like the story pole) etc etc.

currently there is no way to import your latest methods from your latest .plan file into the older .plan file (after it has been saved into the newer version of CA, eg existing plan may have been created in x6 or x7,

you open it and save it as x8, then you 'try' and back-port all your latest tricks and anno sets into that plan file).

note you cant go the other way either - importing the old into the new with

edit/all marquee select the old plan information and bring it forward either, as you lose all terrain info and wall/framing info. and all sorts of other stuff hidden in the old .plan file.

so what are we left with currently?

no clean path to perform the above and import cleanly.

CA really needs an overhaul on the import/export user dialogues to bring it all into one place to perform with an efficient user interface.

an example of how you did well was the dialogue for importing anno sets - us users actually got some useful radio button options for that one!

just do that for a lot more for all the other missing stuff we cant currently import or export please!

a good example is a plan file that you have worked on say prior, (0-3-6-9-12-24-36 mnths ago).

you want to use that floorplan again, (or something close to it) but in that time period, your drawing method and systems have improved.

a new version of CA has come along,

you've started using new features, (like the story pole) etc etc.

currently there is no way to import your latest methods from your latest .plan file into the older .plan file (after it has been saved into the newer version of CA, eg existing plan may have been created in x6 or x7,

you open it and save it as x8, then you 'try' and back-port all your latest tricks and anno sets into that plan file).

You say "currently there is no way to import your latest methods" - Why can't you import things like anno sets, layer sets, wall definitions, and many, many defaults like windows, cabinets, decks, stairs, walls, electrical, fencing, fixtures, schedules, etc, etc. You have the option to import these or not, selectable by check boxes.

All these are available to import from your latest template or plan.

I don't understand what is stopping you from importing these settings and defaults.

Admittedly the options do not include dimensions - so it is probably worth a suggestion for those.

note you cant go the other way either - importing the old into the new with

edit/all marquee select the old plan information and bring it forward either, as you lose all terrain info and wall/framing info. and all sorts of other stuff hidden in the old .plan file.

I don't quite understand the problem you are having, but it is quite possible to bring in all that information from an old plan into a new plan.

You can also import all your old settings and defaults into a new plan.

so what are we left with currently?

no clean path to perform the above and import cleanly.

CA really needs an overhaul on the import/export user dialogues to bring it all into one place to perform with an efficient user interface.

an example of how you did well was the dialogue for importing anno sets - us users actually got some useful radio button options for that one!

just do that for a lot more for all the other missing stuff we cant currently import or export please!

Yes, I agree it could all be pulled together, improved and include missing items - notably dimension defaults, but as mentioned above there are many, many settings and defaults that can be imported.

It would be nice to do things all in one place instead of the individual import/export and separate defaults import that we need to do now.