Roof Structure and 2nd Floor question.

ACADuser

How would you model this structure? I have been using 2nd floor with no ceiling and adding a slope ceiling plane.

I guess there is no hope for sloped steel bar joist. I will do the section in CAD but wanted the CA section close to actual.

Any tips?

post-2435-0-01139400-1457554248_thumb.png

How would you model this structure? I have been using 2nd floor with no ceiling and adding a slope ceiling plane.

I guess there is no hope for sloped steel bar joist. I will do the section in CAD but wanted the CA section close to actual.

Any tips?

Can you be more specific re: which particular part you're having trouble with?  There's a lot going on there.  Low slope roof, parapet walls, dropped wall section, flashing details, steel bar joists...

For the steel bar joists, there are quite a few pretty easy options including...

1.  Using the truss tool.  You could optionally create 2 trusses...one for the top and bottom cord and one for the "webbing", modify as necessary, and distribute.  This would result in square tubing though which may or may not be a problem. 

2.  Create a symbol for the trusses using moldings and/or primitive solids.

3.  A combination of the above. 

• Use a polyline solid with a custom molding polyline for the parapet wall. (set it ontop of your exterior walls)
  • Build the roof with a a very small thickness. (Build the roof inside the exterior walls and with the low elevation as shown)
  • Use trusses from the library, or create your own with molding poly-lines.

Steel bar joists from the Sketch-up 3D Warehouse....

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?q=steel+bar+joists&backendClass=entity

• 10 months later...