Update

Dennis_Gavin

Dermot,

When can we get this one fixed.  It can really cause problems with the ConDocs, creating a situation where the stairs can be built such that they don't comply with code.  This is not something we as designers want to deal with.  It's expensive to fix in the field.  It could result in a stairway having to be rebuilt at our cost.  I pay for Errors and Omissions Insurance - but I don't want to have to use it.

BTW, I just determined that any intermediate Landing Heights are also incorrect.

I think it's really important that Chief get its software accurate and correct but I'm a bit confused by the need to have stairs measured and calculated absolutely perfectly for a builder - in the plans.

I understand the argument but I've never seen a builder begin building stairs without measuring the actual height of the landing above and using his common sense, simple division, and building skill, build a stair that fits, and is built to code.

If I had a builder who came to me after the fact and said my plans showed the risers to be 6 11/16" and I built them that way and look they are 1/2" too high at the top of the stairs, I would encourage that builder to find a new line of work - yesterday.

Doesn't mean Chief shouldn't get it right, but if this is a real work place problem then having Chief be perfect in this regard is not going to solve the obvious deeper issue.

Larry,

If we're just talking about a wood framed stair built in the field I might agree - but I would want a very strong note on the plans stating that the contractor verify all dimensions and report any discrepancies before fabrication.

OTOH, when it's a prefab (shop built) stair it's a different story entirely.  Then it needs to be exact and shown on the plans.  Most building departments are very strict about adherence to code for stairs.

I know that many users don't consider Chief as software for commercial buildings - but I'm not one of them.  Yes, it seems to be best suited to frame construction but there are users who don't shy away from concrete, masonry or steel frame buildings of 3 or more stories.  I've done Hospitals - many years ago all drafted by hand - that could easily have been done in Chief and I have absolutely no problem with doing commercial projects today using this software.

• Upvote 1