Saving screen layout with multiple monitors

gsgriffin

It's been a while since I've been here and haven't been using X4 in a long time.  I'm now with 4 monitors running the program and starting a new plan.  After only a couple days, I'm already annoyed that each time I save and then reload the program, the window opens up across my monitors, but only the floor plan is opened and stretched across all displays. I must resize, re-open, reposition everything back to where I had them when I saved the file. I had different windows in different locations set up in the way I like to work (camera angles, overviews, libraries, etc...).

I'm having trouble searching for an answer for this since "windows" means two different things in the program and the physical one is most prevalent.  Can any answer this for me or point me to a thread they've seen/written?

Thanks!

X4 didn't have multiple monitor support.  X6 is much more capable in that regard, but it doesn't remember what was open on secondary monitors.  This would be a nice feature but I could see where it might present a problem if you then tried to open the plan with fewer monitors.

I simply stretch my main program window out really wide and have the individual windows inside that spanning a single display at a time.

I guess the answer is they still really haven't done anything with this.  Bummer!  What a pain to have to reset everything every time when the file config should be able to keep record of the window layout and adjust if window size changes.  This happens with HTML quite easily.  They could figure it out.

X6 puts individual windows in as "Tabs" which can be pulled off and dragged onto other screens.  Those become individual windows with their own toolbars.  Those can be resized as desired - but their position is not saved when the plan is closed.

There is a setting which allows the positions of pop-up windows (dbx as we know them) to remember their prior locations. and even the prior tab panel within the dbx.

As Joe said X6 is better. I've been using UltraMon with multiple monitors for years. They have a scripting language and an assortment of free scripts available for it - some look like they may allow you to do a portion of what you're after. Worth a look see- they have a forum too.

Description of scripts is here  http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/scripts/

You should try the X6 trial. The 4 monitor case is not something that we see used very often, but should work well. The ease with which views can be moved from monitor to monitor or stacked as tabs or split on a single monitor makes the management of them a ton easier than in prior versions.