Using Cabinet tool for column

johnny

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

I would love to use cabinets for my columns, especially those with a recessed panel design.   However,  I can't get the corners to be "sharp" (there is a small relief on the edges) unless I use a slab style door - but then I lose the panel options.  Is there a way to eliminate the edge relief like I can with the slab setting?

post-75-0-27751100-1457453571_thumb.jpg

column.plan

Johnny,

How are these Columns going to be built?  Is there a Post or Framed Wall?

There are several ways to accomplish what you want but Cabinets would not be my choice.  I would create the Geometry using Solids and Molding Polylines.  Then I would convert that to a Millwork Symbol that I could super-impose on the underlying structure.

Johnny,

How are these Columns going to be built?  Is there a Post or Framed Wall?

There are several ways to accomplish what you want but Cabinets would not be my choice.  I would create the Geometry using Solids and Molding Polylines.  Then I would convert that to a Millwork Symbol that I could super-impose on the underlying structure.

Typically for semi-spec grade custom homes I use fiberboard for the box, and then MDF stock for panels - using the home's baseboard (if it matches the height I want on column) and crown.  Sometimes there is a post in the center, sometimes not - and so I use a 2x cleat attached to the post or floor/ceiling (or faux beam).

For more custom homes i will use a greater build-up and use Birdseye maple ply for the box (painted) - and if the column is to be a stained wood I spec the cabinet maker to provide....but I typically never count on it to be structural at all apart from a post or wall in the center.

The reason I was going away from the solids is after watching a vid on cabinets being used for wainscoting.  I was also thinking I could make some nice custom panels for more complex columns. 

One thing cool about using Cabinets is how easy it is to make partial wall/flanking columns - I can turn off the side panels and they bump nicely into the wall/trim etc.

I'm actually very exited to find this works the way I needed.

post-75-0-64527800-1457471628_thumb.jpg

One thing cool about using Cabinets is how easy it is to make partial wall/flanking columns - I can turn off the side panels and they bump nicely into the wall/trim etc.

I'm actually very exited to find this works the way I needed.

I totally agree. They work awesome. Super easy to add mouldings, change panel styles, etc. They're even better now that we have independent control over all 4 sides.