Hiring out for As-Bults

Adam_Gibson

I would be very leery of anyone else doing the measurements

could really bite you bad :)

not unless you went with them the first few times and both of you do it

and then cross check their numbers

even then ???

Lew

Doing the as-built is one on my main jobs for Katy. I've heard here that many people can do an as-built in a few hours. That's generally not the case for me depending on the remodel. Katy and me meet on the job with the client. Since Katy does the remodel, she spends her time going over what the client wants and I spend my time doing the measurements either of the area to be remodeled or the whole house. I'm generally there much longer than Katy in some cases. Since walls can be out of square, not exactly plumb, studs can be off or not exactly in line with each other, floor off from being level, this can all make a difference in your measurements. This is why when I measure a room in one direction, I measure one end of the room and the other end to check that length. When using a laser, if walls are off as I mentioned, the laser reading from one end of a wall to the other end can vary. If there is a huge difference in the measurements, I let Katy and the client know. I try to keep all my room dimensions all over the house to be with-in an inch or less. You have to check wall thickness for walls to be more accurate and some walls is pretty impossible but you can generally assume that walls behind toilets and some areas may be a little thicker for plumbing. Older houses here in the historic district are much more difficult because a lot of the times you have no idea how people framed things. We see some pretty crazy wall framing and sometimes there were additions done or new walls added to these old homes which have different framing. I also do measure the windows (width and height, floor to top) and their placement on the walls so we know where they are located on the walls. Same for doors. Our as-built plan are very accurate which is why our builders like our work. On a one story, depending on the size, amount of walls and difficulty of the house, I will spend at least 6 hrs. measuring and making notes. Longer for two story or large houses. We generally draw the perimeter of the house based off of the survey, print it and use that for drawing the existing (in pencil). When I go to put it in Chief, if I run into areas where my dimensions don't add up, then I will need to go back and verify and try to find out why. Our clients are generally very grateful that we take the time to get it right. I feel that the as-built is one of the most important part of the remodel, for if you don't have that right or very close, then the remodel will be off as well which could lead to problems for the builder and engineer. If you hire out someone to do you as-built, be sure you use someone who really tries to make it right. Katy never worries about my as-built plan. BTW, we will never do a remodel unless Katy has me do the as-built.

We also show all existing electrical and a/c vents in the areas to be remodeled. I place them as close as possible and take pictures for referencing.

Edited by tommy1

I do as builts from time to time. I always use the surface of the materials for getting my neasurements. I always inform the client and the contractor too, and have the variance understood, agreed and signed in contract before i start. Definite hourly charge for the work.

I can measure a small 1500 SF home in an hour, maybe an hour and a half if the client/builder interrupts me. Interior rooms and exterior walls, widow sizes and locations, complete. Two story maybe 2 hours but have never actually taken that long.

In six hours I would have the as-built complete and probably 2 concepts for the owner to look at.

I can measure a small 1500 SF home in an hour, maybe an hour and a half if the client/builder interrupts me. Interior rooms and exterior walls, widow sizes and locations, complete. Two story maybe 2 hours but have never actually taken that long.

In six hours I would have the as-built complete and probably 2 concepts for the owner to look at.

Way to go HUMBLE Chief!!

;-)

I learned the hard way many years ago that speed is not necessarily a good thing for doing certain things. That's how mistakes are done and can be costly. A timely manner however is something else. For me, how long it takes varies greatly on what we're doing but I NEVER try to do it too fast just to get out of the house. I spend the time I need to do it accurately. That's just me.

....but I NEVER try to do it too fast just to get out of the house. I spend the time I need to do it accurately...

That's only common sense and to rush the job or do it fast just to get out of the house would be foolish. That's just me.

Did a measure this afternoon. Small house, single story, maybe 1400 sf. Took exactly an hour with consultations with the Contractor and homeowner and a video recording of both the interior and exterior with audio notes on my phone.

Remember I'm talking a small house and anyone who saw it would not be surprised at how short a time it takes to complete. I think we're talking apples and oranges.

I've been doing them for 15 years and I have a system that doesn't require the job to be rushed to get it right. Of course there's the occasional error but they are minimal these days and they don't come from rushing or trying to be fast for the sake of fast.

Anyone can take as long as they want to measure an as built, and can measure anything they want, I just wanted to throw my not so Humble (got it Michael) 2 cents up against the wall.

Wanted to add a note. I do spend 10 -15 minutes on Chief before the job along with Google maps and draw a rough outline of the house's exterior walls and print out 2 - 4 copies of that for on site measuring. That way the exterior shape of the house is already complete. Just need to fill in measurements for walls, windows etc. and the exterior is done. Take another copy and sketch the interior wall layout and measure each space. Third copy is for unusual circumstances and weird layouts. Fourth copy is in case one blows away in the wind :)

Kitchen, roofs, exterior detail is done from the video later at the office.

• 2 months later...

I know this probably not the best thread for this but here goes. I recently secured two remodel jobs and was curious, from this thread....is anyone using RoomPlanner to do As-Builts, and if not why?

I would be most interested in adopting proven systemic method of capturing data and transfer it to Chief. My gut tells me you are both right but the time variations raise more questions than either of you have answered.

IMHO, Google Earth, Surveys, exterior elevation photos with dimensions, interior video walk-through with audio commentary plus actual laser dimensions would all be done if one is to achieve as thorough an understanding of the structure he/she will recreate in Chief. Can one ever have too much data?