Glazed cabinets

Athenian_CAD

Go to solution Solved by TheKitchenAbode,

Not aware of any models in the library that will accomodate this. You can build your own door profile using different sections to create this, then each element can be assigned a different material and colour. A shaker door with a glass panel is a simple example of this technique. I did one for a beaded door a quite a while back, will see if I can find it and post.

Graham

THe cheat method is too have an actual photo of a door/drawer with the desired finish and apply it as a material

to a slab door/drawer.  You can even crop out flat sections of the finish to apply to the cabinet box.

Kind of hoky and limited but........

I rarely bother but have done what Graham suggested once on a beaded inset symbol but looks like you have overlay.

I had gotten a few back a ways from Pat-3D Diva (doesn't seam to be around anymore) They are a start but you would have to mix in another texture or adjust the properies to get them to work on a full cabinet. They are ok for the doors but the rest well not so. Library and pics attached.

Glazes.calibz

post-85-0-05023900-1457384244_thumb.png

post-85-0-39636800-1457384256_thumb.png

post-85-0-89803700-1457384266_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

I don't have an answer per se, but if you think about how that glazed effect is created it might give you an idea... 

There are multiple techniques people use to achieve various looks, but I think what most have in common is that an additional, semi transparent, often tinted topcoat or "glaze" is applied. 

If you create an extra cabinet door, drawer front, or molding profile just slightly bigger than than the first either by copying and pasting in place or simply by creating and re-sizing a symbol for the appropriate area(s) on the cabinet, you can change the material on the second front to a semi transparent, colored material.  I messed around with it for a bit and was able to achieve varying degrees of success.  Might be worth a look.  Just play around with the various material and rendering settings to see if you can get an acceptable result.  

• Upvote 1

Here's another idea. A bit trickier but probably easier as well...

You can place your door or drawer front in a blank plan and using the delete surface tool you can adjust the material settings for the various faces. After adjusting the material settings, delete all the surfaces you don't want to affect, and then Convert To Symbol (before allowing 3D to rebuild). If desired, go through the process again for a second set of surfaces. Lastly, drop the original symbol into the plan and delete any and all surfaces you previously changed and convert what remains to a symbol. Drop those 2 or 3 new symbols into a blank plan and overlap them onto each other. Now take a 3D view and Convert to Symbol. You will now have a very customized door or drawer front with different materials for all the various faces.

• Upvote 1

This sort of "glazing" is usually applied to the entire door and then wiped off so that it only remains in the recessed areas.  Shadows can help to partially create this effect.

There are some "Distressed Paint Colors" in the Library that seem to work fairly well.  They can be copied and modified depending on the desired color.

post-47-0-29091400-1457390283_thumb.jpg

Here is another example using the technique I described. Will post the model a bit later.

- took the Raised Panel Beaded door from the lbrary and olaced in the plan.

- applied a 1/16" flat molding to the rail & stile face, slightly less in width so as not to obscure the bead.

- applied a 1/16" psolid to the raised panel face, slightly less in size so as not to obscure the raised edges.

- saved to user library as a door symbol.

- set cabinet door/drawer type to it.

The colour scheme was the adjusted as follows

- main door was made a dark stain.

- my applied rail/stile molding was this stain but lightened.

- my applied raised panel skin was this stain but lightened slightly less than the rail/stile one.

You can just colour the door/drawers with the spray can, real easy.

Graham

post-4793-0-54837400-1458062860_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...