adding trim to skylights

baynesjosh

Go to solution Solved by DMDesigns,

Here's a method you can use to very accurately size and place these types of moldings. Its a multi-step process that may seem pretty complicated at first, but its really not.  In brief what I've done is...

A.  Create a symbol of the roof and skylight assembly that can be rotated in order to create a nice usable vertical surface.

B.  Use CAD Detail From View to create a very accurately sized and shaped moulding symbol.

C.  Use CAD Detail From View to accurately place the moulding symbol.

I had a bit of a hard time making a video because there were quite a few steps to go over and trying to explain every little thing along the way just kept taking too long.  Anyway, I made it as short as I could without skipping any steps but in trying to whittle it down I sort of rushed through a few things.  Hopefully you'll get the idea though...

Great vid Michael!  I really need to get my brain working this way as far as solutions.

I have to say though that Chief should give the Premier customers a pro feature that allows us to work on any 3D plane/axis we want "on the fly" in 90 degree segments.  I've run into this issue even in 2D top plan mode working on non-standard angles.  Until then good way around this.

• Solution

Another Way...

You can even REALLY make it easy on yourself and bring the molding symbol in as an electrical symbol, because you will be able to assign it to mount to ceiling & FLUSH - and it will automatically turn to the angle of the roof. 

--Dave

post-637-0-58690800-1457292824_thumb.jpg

The only thing I am wondering about the way Dave did it is that the size of the opening shouldn't be the same in plan view. The pitch/angle should be skewing the opening size on a top down view....right? wrong?

If I am right then the size of the modeling symbol shouldn't be covering the entire opening. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I thought I would mention this.