Administrative Rights Issue

RobUSMC

I just loaded X8 onto my laptop ive been using for a while now and every time Ive tried to open X8 and now X7 I get a message that I dont have the admin rights.  Im the only user on my laptop, only my account and im set as the administrator.  I only get this message when trying to open X8 and now X7 which ran fine up to now.  Has anyone had this issue.  May be a PC setting but I am the Admin but Chief says i need to have admin rights to open????   

Should've noted i have Windows 10

post-180-0-12514300-1457104359_thumb.png

Don't know the cause but there has been issues when users try to run both programs simultaneously. For some reason Windows is not recognizing that they are two different programs and thinks you are trying to open an already open program. Believe tech support has a solution, should give them a call.

Graham

I get the message the program is already running when trying to open X7 on my laptop, get this message only on laptop doesn't happen on my main computer, so I have to either hold down the ctr key and select it or restart windows and then open X7, don't know why this happens since all my work is done in X8 and the only time I open X7 is for someone wanting me to help them with there plan that doesn't have the newer version

As mentioned in my previous post there can be an issue with this, it may be related to the windows permissions not setting up properly when X8 was originally loaded onto your system. These are system related and as such things can be fine on one computer but not on another. This can happen if you have upgraded to Windows 10, there have been problems were User Accounts can get corrupted to varying degrees, relates to permissions. You can often verify if this is the case by setting up a another User Account with Administrative Privileges, restart your system and select this account, open Chief and if everything runs fine then that's the cause.

Graham

Tried that.  It states it will close and reopen the program then I get this.  Again I would think its a PC OS issue but it is only do this with Chief after i loaded X8

Rob, I get that error message when ever I open X8 to look at it then close it and try to open X7 which I'm mainly using right now. When I open X7, I get that message and it won't let me open so I go to the task manager and close X7 then Right click on X7 icon and run as administrator. Once you open X8 and close it, it's faster to just right click on X7 and open as administrator so you don't get that error. I didn't have this problem until I downloaded X8. BTW, I do have X7 set up to run as administrator.

Rob, I get that error message when ever I open X8 to look at it then close it and try to open X7 which I'm mainly using right now. When I open X7, I get that message and it won't let me open so I go to the task manager and close X7 then Right click on X7 icon and run as administrator. Once you open X8 and close it, it's faster to just right click on X7 and open as administrator so you don't get that error. I didn't have this problem until I downloaded X8. BTW, I do have X7 set up to run as administrator.

Tommy, you should read the thread I referenced as well.  Go through the steps in that thread and you won't need to run as administrator. 

This is just a prompt so the program can run with full administrator permissions. Disable that all together and you will never get that prompt again specially if you the only one using the computer, if you feel that you needed you can turn it on or off.

Im not sure if this is the best route but I change the UAC from its recommended setting in the middle to the lowest Never Notify. After doing that, Ive stopped getting the hang ups but this may have created a security issue.  

post-180-0-72495700-1457276910_thumb.png

Rob - that will resolve the issue but it overrides an important secruity warning feature in Windows. The purpose of this is to warn users when a program is attempting to access something in your system that the User Account permissions settings do not grant access to. For software you trust this is not an issue but should you mistakenly down load something you will not be warned/asked if it is ok to install/make system changes.

Really best to hunt down the conflict between what Chief wants to do and why your User Account permissions is flagging this.

Graham

Im not sure if this is the best route but I change the UAC from its recommended setting in the middle to the lowest Never Notify. After doing that, Ive stopped getting the hang ups but this may have created a security issue.

Did you try going through the steps in that other thread?