Wainscoting - create complex shapes

HomesByDesign

I am sure this has been beat around many times but my quick search could not find anything when searching on wainscoting,,,

Has anyone attempted something similar to the attached?  I suspect it's making on panel and copying if across the wall is it?  Or is it easier than that?

Ron - x8

post-766-0-14712000-1457099639_thumb.jpg

For this type of complexity I use individual door panels, molding polylines and other flat panels to build it. The built-in wainscoting is just a thin cabinet model, you are limited to cabinet controls and how they interlink, biggest issue is how the connect on inside and outside corners.

Graham

I have a symbol that I made just for doing this back with X1. Cabinet doors can be used but I feel my symbol looks more like it. If interested in it, send me an email at my email address below. BTW, it can be stretched in both directions.

post-66-0-01746400-1457103659_thumb.jpg

I have a symbol that I made just for doing this back with X1. Cabinet doors can be used but I feel my symbol looks more like it. If interested in it, send me an email at my email address below. BTW, it can be stretched in both directions.

attachicon.gifWainscot sample.jpg

Tommy,

Cabinet Doors (in the Library) are in fact just Symbols.  It's really easy to display one in 3D and make it a Symbol of another type (Millwork, Interior Furnishing, etc) and set it to "Hang on Wall" or whatever other behavior is needed.

IAE, yes the use of a Symbol is appropriate for the panels.

Tommy,

Cabinet Doors (in the Library) are in fact just Symbols.  It's really easy to display one in 3D and make it a Symbol of another type (Millwork, Interior Furnishing, etc) and set it to "Hang on Wall" or whatever other behavior is needed.

IAE, yes the use of a Symbol is appropriate for the panels.

Yea Joe. I realize that but just really didn't like the way the cabinet doors look which is why I made my own. BTW, not hard to make as you probably know.

In addition to the methods listed above, you can also very easily use 3D molding polylines, wall coverings, material regions, and/or polyline solids. 

If you have a situation where windows drop down into the wainscot, the tall molding method becomes an issue.  This is where I believe wall coverings or material regions would do a better job for the wainscot itself. 

And for the panels...you can open an elevation view, draw a 3D moulding polyline, assign whatever molding you want, Copy and Paste In Place, and then convert to Polyline Solid or Material Region.  This will give you a very flexible panel and perimeter molding to work with which can be blocked and then copy and pasted or otherwise distributed as necessary.  You can also use this method to quickly create a custom symbol to use as Tommy and Joe suggested.  Just copy the block and paste into a blank plan, take a 3D view and then convert to symbol. 

• Upvote 1

BTW, I see that you have a different material for the center. I reworked my symbol so this can be done if interested. I generally try to save the file I make my symbols with so that I can easily edit it later if needed.