Surface Pro/Book or ipad pro

EricsDesigns

Hello everybody,

Trying to make a decision between a Surface Pro/book running a full version of Chief or a Ipad Pro running Room Planner with a laser??

I have a really good desktop at the office so this would not be my everyday machine. I would mostly be using it for measuring as builts in condos remodeling.

There has been too many times where I get back to the office and I don't have a key measurement. Trying to figure a professional and faster way of achieving this.

Can you use a laser measuring device with a Surface Pro and the full version of Chief? Does the pen work with chief?

How do people like the surface pro?? IPad? Is it really faster than pen and paper?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

How about a Surface and a hand held laser? If you set aside enough time to draw the condo you can catch that missing/key measurement before you leave the job site.

I have a new laptop that I intend to take to my as built jobs but haven't tried it yet. With a nice stand and a much larger screen you could bring a lap top to the job for very little cost over a Surface and have a very workable solution.

I can't see any benefit using a laser within Chief perhaps because I've done as builts for so many years that it seems it would just get in the way. Do others use like them? Curious. I have a hand held one for interior measurements that I currently transfer to pen and paper and a regular tape for exterior.

Come to think of it if I had a lap top on site it would really have to live in a central location and I would probably measure my standard way to paper then transfer those measurements to the lap top to insure all the measurements meshed. It would increase my time on the job significantly and that's probably the biggest down side. Interested in what others have to say.

Room planner may work for some but I can't see using it on a complex project, or even a simple one for my work flow. YMMV of course.

And an iPad Pro? You really get so little in capability for the cost compared to a Surface. It would take a sea change in technology for me to get on the iPad train.

This is such an unfilled market niche (as-built sketching), it has amazed me for years! Back in the stone ages I did well over a hundred as-builts of Wendy's restaurants for their ADA upgrade program. These restaurants were all over the state so there was no going back for missed measurements. I used a Palm app called ZipCad that was amazing and very intuitive. I've seen nothing approaching it's utility since and I've looked at and purchased many, many,.....

Have a look;

If this can be done on a Palm Pilot, why in the world can't this simplicity be created on these new tablets that are more powerful than my desktop was then? The Bluetooth Disto laser worked flawlessly with it and exports were clean 2d drawings similar to an as-built mask that we create from a model today. If I'd had lines to walls...

I'm also trying to decide between:

1) Surface pro i7-8G-256G

and

2)Surface Book i5-8G-128

to be used w/Chief in the field as well as other mobile computing; spreadsheets in the evening and browsing Chief Talk regularly and such. Our business is migrating to Office 365 so these seemed the best bet to me.

I'd value anyone's thoughts in this regard or alternatives.

As always, great resource here and always thankful for those who unselfishly contribute.

Thanks,

Toby

I'm still a tape measure and pencil guy. I think laser/digitizing is best suited for major wall to wall measures but when it gets down to those finer measures then the good old tape measure still seems to be the best method, at least for me. Many times I need specific measures on existing trim work, windows covered with drapery, existing HVAC vents and the likes.

Graham

When I get back to the office with my as built scribbles on graph paper I have an invaluable resource to check and re-check my measurements from. With Room planner or similar apps I've got nothing to refer to. If there's a wrong measurement how would I find it? My scribbles are a life saver so many times.

I really want an app or another solution to really work, real world, on the job but haven't seen it yet.

The upside to room planner is the direct import into Chief which should be huge. I would love to see room planner demonstrated on a 3 story split level, open roomed home and see how it works. Really curious.

And...had no idea there were so many apps out there.

http://freshome.com/10-best-free-online-virtual-room-programs-and-tools/

http://architizer.com/blog/roomscan-app/

https://www.smartdraw.com/floor-plan/room-layout-design.htm

Even more...

http://lasers.leica-geosystems.com/leica-disto-app-directory#45

I did try one time to enter measurements into my laptop while on-site. Took much longer than a paper and pencil sketch/drawing. Not just for basic measures but also for all of those other much needed site notes but also client wishes and desires that need to be noted. I also really like to have a hard copy to refer back to in the event of an issue. And absolutely, lots of pics, they are a great reminder of those oddities that exist on every job.

Graham

I have been using the App called "Redstick Cad Pro".

Their are two versions for both Mac & Android. "Redstick Cad" and "Redstick Cad Pro".

Far superior to "Room Planner. I have sent in many suggestion for improvements to Room Planner with none implemented.

Wow,

Thanks for everybody's input. It has given me some food for thought and a few webpages to explore further. Before trying a new new and potentially expensive new way of achieving something that can be done cheaply with pen and paper requires a double check in the real world. I really appreciate all the honest input.

Have a great weekend to everyone.

At first glance redstick looks interesting.

Eric

I should add that I'm using "Redstick Cad Pro" with a "Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" tablet.

This tablet has a sharp pointed Stylus, which makes drawing accurate walls, lines and imputing data very easy and natural feeling.

It's not the time it saves that is the important factor.

It's the clean, accurate and easy to read hard copy of your measurements that is important and the ability to zoom.

I have my Tablet mounted to the top of a camera tripod. I set it up in a room, take all the measurements I need then pickup and move to the next room. I don't directly send the Laser  to Redstick. I take a measurement and hand input to Redstick. Fast and easy.

Some of the features I like: Locked wall dimensions, adjustable wall thickness, auto and manual dimensions, can handle any type window and door information, multiple floor levels, reference floors with snaps, notes and picture built into the program, etc.

I don't input Redstick directly into CA. I do this manually. Just as I would if I used a pad and pencil.

Larry,

You are correct, not much happening since last July. I contacted them a week or so ago and did get a response. 

Go to their web site and under "Help Center" , there is contact information. Send them an e-mail with your concerns. 

• 4 years later...
On 3/4/2016 at 4:21 AM, Pkbldr said:

This is such an unfilled market niche (as-built sketching), it has amazed me for years! Back in the stone ages I did well over a hundred as-builts of Wendy's restaurants for their ADA upgrade program. These restaurants were all over the state so there was no going back for missed measurements. I used a Palm app called ZipCad that was amazing and very intuitive. I've seen nothing approaching it's utility since and I've looked at and purchased many, many,.....

Have a look;

If this can be done on a Palm Pilot, why in the world can't this simplicity be created on these new tablets that are more powerful than my desktop was then? The Bluetooth Disto laser worked flawlessly with it and exports were clean 2d drawings similar to an as-built mask that we create from a model today. If I'd had lines to walls...

I'm also trying to decide between:

1) Surface pro i7-8G-256G

and

2)Surface Book i5-8G-128

to be used w/Chief in the field as well as other mobile computing; spreadsheets in the evening and browsing Chief Talk regularly and such. Our business is migrating to Office 365 so these seemed the best bet to me.

I'd value anyone's thoughts in this regard or alternatives.

As always, great resource here and always thankful for those who unselfishly contribute.

Thanks,

Toby

Hi Toby,

I just bought a surface pro 7 i5-8g-128ssd yesterday for the purpose of getting as-built floor plans, at a work site, with a laser or tape, and into the chief software platform.

So far, it works perfectly as I only need to work out the floor plan in 2D. Floor plan, window size, location, elevation; door size and location; are all in the 2D format. I thought the i5 machine would probably do the job as needed. Turns out I was right. The machine was really snappy, and drew up the basic floor plan very well. 

For fun, I opened the 3D perspective view. It took a few seconds for the render to complete, so a bit laggy there, but once it came up I could 3D view from orbit, view in, and look around smoothly. I don't really need this when working remotely, but I did snap a picture of the initial rendering with my phone, to send to a friend who was duly impressed with the results. As was I.

Note: I plan to upgrade to "Premier" on the desktop, but  I purchased Home Designer "Suite" exclusively for the Surface Pro. It was only about a hundred bucks. This was primarily because of the single device restriction. I didn't want to have to keep switching the license back and forth between the desktop and the Surface Pro. Also, I don't need all the bells and whistles provided in the upgraded versions to work on the Surface Pro. I just needed a 2D planner that works well in the field. Additionally, I think the bigger more capable  programs are... well... BIGGER and I don't see a need for a huge machine with huge capabilities in the field. The 128ssd is likely able to hold 10- 30 floor plans at a time before they will be off loaded to the desktop. Way more than this dedicated device will ever be needed for.

My one disappointment with the Surface Pro is that it doesn't interface with my Bosch Bluetooth Laser. I can't get the slick automatic wall adjustments that you see in  demo videos. I have to manually enter the dimensions that I read on the laser, but I don't think the added time is a big difference. I may change my mind though.

Total cost for the Surface Pro w/ keyboard and pen, (somewhat useful when drawing initial layout: $1400.00 + Designer Suite $99.00=$1500 bucks.

I hope this helps you. I did try to use the Surface Pro without the attached keyboard, and found the onscreen interface to be very cumbersome. Looks like the laptop configuration is probably the best way to go. Good luck.

I'm wondering if anybody is able to charge for this as a service. I'm thinking $.30 per foot, so $300.00 for accurate floor plans on a 1,000 sqf home. Any thoughts?

James