Terrain - Roads, Driveways, Sidewalks

Joe_Carrick

There was another thread in Suggestions - evidently deleted - concerning these objects and their "Height" and "Thickness".  Here are 3 pics of a site with a rather steep terrain,  I added a Road, 2 Driveways, 3 Sidewalks and a Slab.

post-47-0-02739000-1457027989_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-39159900-1457028018_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-24060300-1457028039_thumb.jpg

The Road, Driveways and Sidewalks were all specified to be 1" High.  The Slab is 12" Thick with the Top Surface 6" above the Terrain.

Note that the Road, Driveway and Sidewalks all effect the Terrain by attempting to be "Level" perpendicular to their centerlines.  However, where these items meet their surfaces are "warped" to join with the major item.  None of them have any real thickness as can be seen in the 2nd and 3rd pics.  The Slab, does have a thickness and that can be seen in the 3rd pic.

The Suggestion I had made previously was that the "Thickness" should exist and that we should be able to edit those values similarly to how we can for a slab.

Agree and Agree.

These terrain features are unique to say the least. Though I have never explored these in the past, the referred to post really raised my curiosity in them. At this time I can only conclude that they were originally intended more for visualization than detailed landscaping specification purposes. It has now likely come of time that this aspect of Chief be revisited so they can be controlled and manipulated in a manner similar to what we have come to expect from the other building & modelling functions in Chief.

Graham

PS - I learnt more in a shorter period of time from that post than any other and had more than a few laughs along the way. Many Thanks.