Duplex

ThomasM

Go to solution Solved by Evolution,

Hello All,

I am working on a duplex.  part of the duplex does not have a floor above - just a very high ceiling.
do I create a very tall wall and place floors where needed and leave the one floor part alone?  sorry if I did not word that correctly.

any pointers would help or if you can point me to a video that would help me understand what I need to do - before I start doing it.
I am going to start but am guessing maybe I will just build a floor - put another floor on top of that and delete the floor where the duplex is only one floor.

Thank you

Tom

Hello All,

I am working on a duplex.  part of the duplex does not have a floor above - just a very high ceiling.

do I create a very tall wall and place floors where needed and leave the one floor part alone?  sorry if I did not word that correctly.

any pointers would help or if you can point me to a video that would help me understand what I need to do - before I start doing it.

I am going to start but am guessing maybe I will just build a floor - put another floor on top of that and delete the floor where the duplex is only one floor.

Thank you

Tom

Tom, not sure exactly what you're talking about without seeing it, but from the sounds of it, what you need to do is build the second floor stacked right on top of the first and make the room type for the upper section "Open Below". 

• Upvote 1

I am very sorry I don't know the correct lingo and my writing isn't good on top of that.

you walk into the apartment (kitchen) on level 1 has a normal 8' ceiling for about 10 feet.  than

as you walk past the kitchen and into the living room the ceiling is very high with no second floor.
to the left is the first floor bathroom and bedroom.  in the living room is stairs going up to the second floor (another bedroom and bathroom)
the second floor bedroom and bathroom are on top of the first floor bedroom and bathroom.
I think I will stack one floor on top of the other and remove the floors where needed.

thank you

I think you and I must be imagining 2 different things Perry.  I'm envisioning a 2 story box with one room being completely open top to bottom (18-20' ceiling).  If you simply make one room on the first floor with an 18 or 20' ceiling height, the walls will only draw on the first floor.  If you build 2 stacked rooms and make one Open Below, the walls draw on both floors.  Not saying one way is wrong or right, just that it depends on what you want to see. 

You just need to divide the 2 rooms with an invisible wall or room divider wall and change the ceiling heights.

I did that for the kitchen and living room ( if that is what you meant). I ran into a problem with that.  the normal height ceiling extends the whole width of the room for about 6 feet - part of that 6 feet is

kitchen and part is livingroom.  I would just label the whole area kitchen but then the kitchen floor tile will also extend too far.  I will try to not label kitchen and manually put tile.  I never did that before.

thanks for letting me know im not heading off into the wrong direction all together.  going to stay up all night if I have to.  need to be able to show this tomorrow.

I think you and I must be imagining 2 different things.  I'm envisioning a 2 story box with one room being completely open top to bottom (18-20' ceiling).  If you simply make one room on the first floor with an 18 or 20' ceiling height, the walls will only draw on the first floor.  If you build 2 stacked rooms and make one Open Below, the walls draw on both floors.  Not saying one way is wrong or right, just that it depends on what you want to see. 

yes, this is what I need. livingroom is completely open on top. with stairs going up to second floor.

I did that for the kitchen and living room ( if that is what you meant). I ran into a problem with that.  the normal height ceiling extends the whole width of the room for about 6 feet - part of that 6 feet is

kitchen and part is livingroom.  I would just label the whole area kitchen but then the kitchen floor tile will also extend too far.  I will try to not label kitchen and manually put tile.  I never did that before.

thanks for letting me know im not heading off into the wrong direction all together.  going to stay up all night if I have to.  need to be able to show this tomorrow.

I would strongly recommend you get into the habit of attaching the plan or at least screenshots.  It alleviates a lot of guesswork and usually gets you an accurate answer pretty stinkin' quickly. 

I would strongly recommend you get into the habit of attaching the plan or at least screenshots.  It alleviates a lot of guesswork and usually gets you an accurate answer pretty stinkin' quickly. 

will do. looks like I have the high ceilings where needed. 

i am having a hard time adjusting the angle of the stairs.  at the angle it is now they are blocking the doorway to first floor bathroom and bedroom.  I am going to attempt to post a screen shot.  not sure how I am going to attached the stairs to 2nd floor.

I need to make these stairs on a steeper angle so they don't block the door was in the middle of the room.  i cant move the stairs back because of the wall that is there.  also not sure how I am going to finish the stairs for exiting onto second floor to right of stairs. omg I need a rest already.  I don't know how to upload a pic?  I see my media tab but don't know how to upload to it.

I need to make these stairs on a steeper angle so they don't block the door was in the middle of the room.  i cant move the stairs back because of the wall that is there.  also not sure how I am going to finish the stairs for exiting onto second floor to right of stairs. omg I need a rest already.  I don't know how to upload a pic?  I see my media tab but don't know how to upload to it.

for some reason the option to attach files is only visible if I edit a post.  but if I reply to someone.  there is no option to attach files.  will try picture.  for some reason I cant get the plan uploaded.