Crashing In X8

Gawdzira

Hey John

“I think we might have a winner with this one!  These are the exact errors I'm getting.  All things being verified as working properly, this is the turd in the punch bowl variable that might be causing the issue since there are already known issues acknowledged by Chief with bringing x7 files forward - mainly the issue with the roof overhang encroaching into an interior room in 3d and elevation views, which I'm having a big issue with.”

​Have you gotten any answers from tech support regarding what to do? 

For now I am just going to use X7 for my X7 created .plan files. 

Thanks,

Kay

I haven't formally submitted the errors to support, just hit the button on the error window that says to "send report".  I've been too busy to write down exactly how it happens.

Going back to x7 might be the best thing to do, I'm just too stubborn to do it!

I think there will be some slowdown if you have views sent to layout to "Always update". Try changing that setting to "On demand" and see if that helps. I have all my views set to On demand. All you really have to do is hit one button to update everything.

• 1 month later...

Each time I try to send a wall elevation camera view to layout I get the message " display driver stopped responding and has recovered" this causes X8 to crash. I then have to end task in task manager and restart X8. Is this what everyone else is experiencing or do I have something else going on?

Is it a laptop, .  The Ati  Radeon is older tecnology. Is this an older laptop?

Looks like your Radeon video card is older. but might not have what it takes to run Chief. Call tech. support

Here is what I got from the web site about your video card

The UVD 2 video engine is able to decode HD videos (H.264 and VC-1 in all stages, MPEG-2 only IDCT) and allows the fluent playback of HD videos (e.g. Blu-ray) with a relative low CPU utilization (called Avivo HD). The HD 3200 was the first onboard graphics card that allows the fluent playback of Blu-ray videos. The UVD 2 on the HD 4200 supports the decoding of two video stream and therefore got a full Blu-Ray support.

The graphics core of the HD 4200 stems from the Mobility Radeon HD 3400 and is therefore DirectX 10.1 capable. Because of the missing graphics memory, the performance of the card is a bit lower than of the HD 3400. Theroretically, dedicated memory chips can be directly added to the chip, making it a dedicated graphics card. Because of pricing it is unclear if any manufacturer will add memory to the chip.

Still older games like Doom 3 or Quake 4 should be barly playable. Compared to older onboad graphic chips (e.g., GMA X3100), the HD 4200 is much faster. Even the Centrino 2 graphics core (GMA 4500M HD) is noticeable slower than the HD 4200. Compared to the HD 3200 the performance should be similar

Using Windows XP, the HD 3200 seems to have problems with current and older drivers, as there is no 2D accelleration. This leads to very slow interactions with windows and scrolling (especially with Firefox as reported in various discussion boards). More information on the topic can be found at Planet 3D Now (de) or the AMD forum. It is still unclear if the HD 4200 also suffers from this problem

• 1 month later...

We have 2 Mac Pro's in our office, both have X8 on a fresh install of OS X. Dual ATI FirePro D500 w/ 3GB Video Memory with 6 Core Intel and 6GB of Ram Both systems are completely brand new and both get similar crashes. (I've sent in all crash reports). I think the same bug that is affecting Win users is also affecting the OS X users from what I have been reading in this thread. It seems to correspond with the randomness  Sometimes the error will happen in library, sometimes while making a change in Full Perspective Camera mode...but almost never in Plan mode. Maybe that is a big clue.

I have recovered from backups each time which is good, and I have been patient with Chief thus far, but my business relies on a solid architecture program - which to me, X7 seemed more reliable...but still would crash sporadically at times. Time dealing with crashes is money lost and I am sure many of you can sympathize with that.