Crashing In X8

Gawdzira

I have had 2 crashes recently. I just had one while searching some library items. This was not happening before the latest release. Anyone else crashing suddenly?

Allen I was in the Door Specification Dialogue Box, when I clicked to change the molding, (opening the library browser) it crashed X8. It was 4 in the morning, and I was off to bed so I didn't report it or anything. But it has happen to me twice now since the release. 

I started having a bunch of Chief crashes when I migrated to win 10 whenever I would open a DBX, or save and even "export"

Go to windows "event viewer".  Click on windows logs, and then in the right box double click "application".

Look for your error messages.     It was a faulting module :MSVCR120.dll   I found searching that several other graphics intensive programs were starting to randomly crash with win 10.

If that is your problem, I found one way to fix it.....   I had to create a new user account and migrate everything over.   No more crashes.

post-3615-0-01348500-1456961974_thumb.jpg

Chief has tested well with windows 10 for long time now, but sometimes the little buggers have a problem, try to send it in to support.

I tried for support, they told me it was most likely a hardware malfunction.   Possibly bad memory or other hardware related item.    Recommended if memory passed test, might have to do a full wipe of system.

I am glad I did some more research myself as creating a new user account was MUCH easier......

did you get all the windows 10 updates?

Yep....this went on for sometime...even when I was doing beta testing.   I thought it was something in beta, but looking back they found an even log in 7 where it happened too.   They concluded I had faulty hardware.

I tried many things with the help of Chief support.  (dont get me wrong...they tried for sure)   They concluded it was hardware which I ruled out with running all kinds of scan utilities.  After a BUNCH or research on my own, I tried creating another user account.   Worked perfect!   Just had to migrate things over which was not too bad.

I lived with crashing for about 2 months....glad I did not wipe everything.

I've been getting quite a few "Serious Errors" since upgrading to Windows 10 and/or X8 as well, although I'm not sure they've ever resulted in a crash. 

x2 with the "serious errors".  Mine seem to happen when I have a plan, a few elevation tabs, and a layout open at the same time.  I built the new system in my sig recently with an OEM install of W10, so it's not an issue of upgrading from W8.1.  I'm not above saying that I might have done something wrong with the build and it certainly might be a faulty hardware issue, but CA is the only software I have issues with.  The only thing I think might be causing it that I found out later that I shouldn't have done is to disable the integrated Intel graphics.  I don't think that should have anything to do with it since, generally, the installed GPU takes over anyway.

...The only thing I think might be causing it that I found out later that I shouldn't have done is to disable the integrated Intel graphics.  I don't think that should have anything to do with it since, generally, the installed GPU takes over anyway.

Ya, I don't think that has anything to do with it either.  I operated for a long time with both my rigs without any issues until recent upgrades/updates.

Just installed Windows 10, and X8. 

• No problems when opening a camera view in X8 of a house model built with X8. 
  • When I tried to open a camera view of a house built in X7, X8 gave me "serious error" and "unexpected error" messages. 

Video Card Error Message After Install of X8

Left render created in X7.  Right render and error - X8

(My video card drivers are up to date.)

Has anyone else had video card errors using X8 to open camera views in plans built with X7?

x2 with the "serious errors".  Mine seem to happen when I have a plan, a few elevation tabs, and a layout open at the same time.  I built the new system in my sig recently with an OEM install of W10, so it's not an issue of upgrading from W8.1.  I'm not above saying that I might have done something wrong with the build and it certainly might be a faulty hardware issue, but CA is the only software I have issues with.  The only thing I think might be causing it that I found out later that I shouldn't have done is to disable the integrated Intel graphics.  I don't think that should have anything to do with it since, generally, the installed GPU takes over anyway.

The 6700K does not have an integrated graphics component. You mentioned that you disabled this, assume you mean that you assigned the graphics card to Chief in the graphics card management software. Have you tried  resetting this back to let windows decide. The graphics card management software does not disable the integrated chip, it just tells windows to use it instead of the integrated graphics if there is an available choice. To actually disable an integrated graphics chip can be very difficult and complex, either requires editing the registry or making BIOS changes if permitted at all.

Graham

Graham

• When I tried to open a camera view of a house built in X7, X8 gave me "serious error" and "unexpected error" messages. 

Has anyone else had video card errors using X8 to open camera views in plans built with X7?

When you refer to the former X7 plan, are you activating a saved camera in that plan that was saved in X7? If so reopen the plan in X8, do not use any of the existing cameras, place a new camera and see if it problem reoccurs. I had some similar issues with cameras originally saved in X7. There have been some changes in the camera view settings in X8, l think there can be instances where these do not get properly readjusted when a X7 plan is converted to X8.

​Graham

The 6700K does not have an integrated graphics component. You mentioned that you disabled this, assume you mean that you assigned the graphics card to Chief in the graphics card management software. Have you tried  resetting this back to let windows decide. The graphics card management software does not disable the integrated chip, it just tells windows to use it instead of the integrated graphics if there is an available choice. To actually disable an integrated graphics chip can be very difficult and complex, either requires editing the registry or making BIOS changes if permitted at all.

Graham

Graham

This is what I did when I got my laptop new and solved all my problems I was have with elevations and sending them to layout.

Tommy - I've learned, often painfully, that it's usually best to let Windows determine things and only make changes if there is truly a problem. I believe this to be even more relevant with Windows 10. This version is not a typical upgrade, it has been extensively rewritten, a lot of major internal operational functions have been changed. As such there will be potential compatibility issues with pre Windows 10 hardware, drivers and software. They have tried to anticipate these which is why we should let Windows try first and only get involved when that fails to do the trick.

Graham

Graham

Graham

The 6700K itself doesn't but the motherboard does.  I disabled it in Win10 from the device manager/display adapters tab.  Easy.

I think we might have a winner with this one!  These are the exact errors I'm getting.  All things being verified as working properly, this is the turd in the punch bowl variable that might be causing the issue since there are already known issues acknowledged by Chief with bringing x7 files forward - mainly the issue with the roof overhang encroaching into an interior room in 3d and elevation views, which I'm having a big issue with.

When you refer to the former X7 plan, are you activating a saved camera in that plan that was saved in X7? If so reopen the plan in X8, do not use any of the existing cameras, place a new camera and see if it problem reoccurs. I had some similar issues with cameras originally saved in X7. There have been some changes in the camera view settings in X8, l think there can be instances where these do not get properly readjusted when a X7 plan is converted to X8.

​Graham

Yep!  I'll keep an eye out today when I get back on that job.

I've been getting more crashes in X8 than I did before. Actually I started noticing them in X7-vrashes were extremely rare before that. (it is also possible that upgrading from 8 to 8.1 is a factor but I can't remember when I did that. I know it messed with my Widi connection to a tv?)

Not reproducible-sent a few in. Happens most in elevations, second in 3D, rarely in plan.

At first it appeared to be related to symbols I made but nope, then I thought it might be a system resource thing. I'm not well behaved about opening things and tried to isolate it to specific programs but then noticed getting them when nothing much else was open except for email. I do always have many tabs, often multiple plans and a layout. Mentioned while at KBIS and they suggested that I allow the reports to send in. It's not totally awful or anything, just not what I was used to. (still better than 2020 by a few light years)

I have noticed that a lot of temp files get generated. So I started to use an applet that 2020 has to delete temp files and that appears to help when I remember to click it. If I keep the total down below 100 that appears to help.

AgChief - Thanks for pointing this out. I also have the 6700K, just checked my system device manager and there is an HD 530 listed there. Was going by the 6700K specs only. To cover my butt I'll claim that this is not technically an integrated graphics chip. :unsure:

Thanks Again,

Graham

• Upvote 1

​Graham

Thanks Graham. 

Yes, the problem happened when I used a camera that had been created in X7 but also when I open a new camera in X8.   

I talked to tech support and they asked me to send them the file.  As you said, many things have changed from X7 to X8 and one of them is how X8 displays shadows.  I had shadows "on" in the X7 plan when I "backed up entire plan."

Shadows in X7 did slow down the camera views, but in my opinion they looked more natural than the new X8 shadows.  If you turn on X8 "legacy shadows," camera views are slow and the shadows are poor.  In my opinion, X8 legacy shadows are not worth the wait.   

Thanks for the reply!

Kay 

Hey John

“I think we might have a winner with this one!  These are the exact errors I'm getting.  All things being verified as working properly, this is the turd in the punch bowl variable that might be causing the issue since there are already known issues acknowledged by Chief with bringing x7 files forward - mainly the issue with the roof overhang encroaching into an interior room in 3d and elevation views, which I'm having a big issue with.”

​Have you gotten any answers from tech support regarding what to do? 

For now I am just going to use X7 for my X7 created .plan files. 

Thanks,

Kay