Truss

Green1

I'm still using X3. Trying to draw a font porch gabel with an exposed truss built from 6X6s setting on 2 post. The roof will then tie into main roof with 2 valleys. I've tried roof beams, trusses and soffits but they can't be rotated to build rafters (to follow roof pitch). Can anyone help me? Please?

Thank you!

You may have better luck using the framing tools and then doing manual edits from there.  I say that since you need to set the correct widths etc for the framing to even work.

If you post your plan with an explanation you will have a better chance getting a quick answer.

I tried framing tools, but i could not rotate them. Is that possible? Can you make poly lines 3 dimensional? I can post the plan, but the porch consist of a slab and 2 post now. Would that help?

Thanks

Also, in earlier versions you could click on the edge (where the facia would be) of a roof plane, then another one perpendicular to it and it would put an X where those 2 would meet. Did I forget how to use that feature?

Thanks

Here's a quick video showing how to just use the actual truss tool.  I used X6 because its the oldest version I still have installed but I think X3 should work about the same...although the dialogue boxes look quite a bit different if I remember correctly. 

P.S.  I didn't go over it in the video, but you can also get different size webbing if you want by building 2 trusses with different settings and overlaying them on each other.  This method may require checking "Lock Truss Envelope" in some cases though. 

WOW!!! Thank you sooo much. That's exactly what I was trying to do! I still wasted a few hours, but that's my own fault instead of moving on to a different part of plan. I think I ended up using primitives, but will change it now. I also messed up by not making it a room, so a truss wouldn't work.

I now have to show metal plates for gussets. Any ideas other than cad lines.

Again, thank you guy's so much.

WOW!!! Thank you sooo much. That's exactly what I was trying to do! I still wasted a few hours, but that's my own fault instead of moving on to a different part of plan. I think I ended up using primitives, but will change it now. I also messed up by not making it a room, so a truss wouldn't work.

I now have to show metal plates for gussets. Any ideas other than cad lines.

Again, thank you guy's so much.

I would just use polyline solids for the gussets (drawn in elevation view), and I would start by creating a CAD Detail From View, drawing polylines in that CAD detail, and then Cut and Paste Hold Position back into elevation before converting to a polyline solid.  Starting with the CAD detail will give you some line work to start with and a lot more usable snapping properties.  This thread might be of some use to you...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/7867-using-cad-detail-from-view-as-a-drawing-tool/

There are a few videos in there with the basic idea.