Dogtooth Brick Detail

william_b

Hi all,

I'm trying to reproduce what we call in the UK a 'dogtooth' brick detail - don't know if that's what you would call it across the pond?

There's nothing in the 3D library that looks similar, can anyone suggest where I might be able to find such a detail, or how I could possibly create something that looks close enough to be passable?

Thanks

Bill

(attachments)

post-4038-0-93087800-1456839282_thumb.jpg

post-4038-0-52946400-1456839328_thumb.jpg

Graham has given you one option - create the geometry and save it as a molding to use along a molding polyline:

post-95-0-74160700-1456848045_thumb.png

The disadvantage to this technique is it can be tricky to get the geometry and the material definitions to give you what you want. You can see in the image above that when the molding symbol is placed along the the molding polyline the materials I've used don't behave on the ends.

Another method is to create the symbol as millwork (or something other than a molding), then simply repeat it until you've got the desired length. Either way, to place into the wall you can create a material region to cut away the finish brick, then "insert" the molding/symbol into place:

post-95-0-97378400-1456848098_thumb.png

Robert - I totally agree with your assessment of the create 3D molding option. Only tried this once and it was really difficult to do and obtain a predictable result, especially for the first time. If I had to do it again that way I would likely create several individual moldings and stack them. In Bills example one simple molding would take care of the bottom and top brick coarse and then one for what looks like a saw tooth for the middle coarse.

Graham

To simplify this, I would use 2 Moldings:

1.  1 or 2 Simple rectangular Molding Profile for the Flat Bricks with a brick texture.

2.  3D Molding for a single "Dog Tooth Brick"

Apply each of these to the Molding Polyline with elevation and size as needed.  This has the best chance of looking right at corners.

Here's a pic

post-47-0-52340400-1456857163_thumb.jpg

To simplify this, I would use 2 Moldings:

1.  Simple rectangular Molding Profile for the Flat Bricks with a brick texture.

2.  3D Molding for a single "Dog Tooth Brick"

Apply each of these to the Molding Polyline with elevation and size as needed.  This has the best chance of looking right at corners.

Sounds like "Deja vu", my posting #4. ;) Just kidding with you Joe. I know you would not have let me getaway with it.

Would be really interested in your thoughts on my recent posting under Suggestions for a "User Object Specification DBX".

Graham

Which method produces the best results in vector view?

Properly executed, I think all the above are equally legitimate options and could result in near identical results. Really boils down to which tools a person is most proficient at using as well as the desired end result.