Opening X7 And/or X8

Joe_Carrick

I've noticed that I often have problems opening one version after having used the other.  This is not something that I ever noticed before X8.  It seems like now I have to use "Run as Administrator" while I didn't previously.  Naturally, this brings up the "User Account Control" dialog which I have to answer before Chief will open.

1.  Why has this changed from prior releases?

2.  Am I the only one having this problem?

This is because Chief is trying to change file association on each launch.

------------------

In X7 and X8

Go to Edit>Preferences and on the Reset Options panel click Reset Message Boxes.

Close and Relaunch Chief.

When the question appears asking if you want to associate files do anything except for choosing Yes and checking the remember my choice button.

------------------

Choosing Yes and Remember my choice makes Chief try and set file association on every launch. This requires admin rights which is why you see the user account control message.

This is because Chief is trying to change file association on each launch.

------------------

In X7 and X8

Go to Edit>Preferences and on the Reset Options panel click Reset Message Boxes.

Close and Relaunch Chief.

When the question appears asking if you want to associate files do anything except for choosing Yes and checking the remember my choice button.

------------------

Choosing Yes and Remember my choice makes Chief try and set file association on every launch. This requires admin rights which is why you see the user account control message.

Thank you Brian,  this solves part of my problem.  I still can't open X7 without holding down the control key though.  It is acting as if the program is already running.  I reboot every night too so rebooting doesn't fix it. 

Thank you Brian,  this solves part of my problem.  I still can't open X7 without holding down the control key though.  It is acting as if the program is already running.  I reboot every night too so rebooting doesn't fix it. 

For anyone experiencing the same problem, I managed to fix it although I'm still not sure why it happened in the first place.  After following Brian's instructions, I opened Task Manager and noticed that X7 was named as one of the background processes.  I clicked "End Task" and restarted my machine.  All has been well since.