Please Help - Shiny Roof

mynewhomeltd

post-8180-0-80724900-1456779157_thumb.jpgpost-8180-0-82646700-1456779158_thumb.jpgpost-8180-0-37380700-1456779161_thumb.jpg

Hi,

1/ Sometimes when I am doing a plan the roof ends up "shiny" in areas and I have to move it around in 3D to get a decent shot of the house. Is there any reason it does this and how can I fix it?

2/ One side of my house in 3D is darker than the other so the renders end up looking really bright and beautiful on one side and much darker on the other, how do I fix this?

post-8180-0-02069300-1456779160_thumb.jpg

The "shiny" areas you are seeing are what we call z-fighting.  Your roof sheathing is showing through the roofing material.  This is usually caused by a model that is built really far from 0,0 or by some errant object really far from the origin.  It can usually be fixed by either...

a.  moving the model closer to 0,0

b.  deleting the errant objects

c.  increasing the thickness of the roofing material

To fix the lighting issue, it depends on which version you're using.  In X8 we have the option under 3D>Lighting>Adjust Sunlight to check "Sun Follows Camera".  In previous versions I would just suggest either...

a. 3D>Lighting>Adjust Lights>Default Sun and play with the Tilt Angle and Direction Angle settings

b. CAD>Lines and put both a Sun Angle and North Pointer into the plan.  Once you do that...Window>Tile Vertically (or Tile Horizontally), and play with the North Pointer and/or open the Sun Angle and make adjustments to the various settings.  Adjustments made in the sun angle dbx. will change the 3D view even while the dbx is still open (thus the reason for my suggestion to tile your windows...so you can see the changes as you make them). 

If the z fighting isn't too bad, you can also click on every roof surface, and thicken them from the default 1/8th inch to 1".

This is quick fix rather than shifting the model over.

By default I keep all of the roof surfaces 1" thick anyway. They print better in 2D layouts even if asphalt shingles are indeed quite thin.