Stair Landing - How To Frame?

SNestor

So...I'm hoping this question is general enough that I won't need to post a plan.  

When constructing a switch-back style stair.  So...you travel up 8 risers...land...then turn 180 degrees and travel 8 risers to the second floor.  My question is...how to you construct the floor landing so that it frames.  

I know you can use the stair landing tool to create the landing for the stairs to connect to...but this is a polyline and it does not create framing.  

When I created the wall under the landing (at the head of the first floor 8 rise run) it created a room.  However, when I went in the structural dbx it stated that "ceiling values may not be changed as the floor above this room has varying heights".post-227-0-86935800-1456704236_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-57593300-1456705160_thumb.jpg

I know many like to find ways to get CA to frame automatically, but I have yet to see many examples where it does so (a.) correctly*, and (b.)faster than using Chief's framing tools and just manually modeling it.

It is pretty cool you can use all those tools in CA to frame things correctly - and if you want to mix with auto-frame sections just lock your hand-framed sections.

*I say its worse to show something framed incorrectly than simply not showing it.

Run the stair one way and turn 180 and go the other way, stop and click between them and it will generate a platform. Same way you would do both stairs with a 90 turn.

I can create the stair platform...but it does not frame like a floor.  Or maybe it does and I'm doing something wrong?

I know many like to find ways to get CA to frame automatically, but I have yet to see many examples where it does so (a.) correctly*, and (b.)faster than using Chief's framing tools and just manually modeling it.

It is pretty cool you can use all those tools in CA to frame things correctly - and if you want to mix with auto-frame sections just lock your hand-framed sections.

*I say its worse to show something framed incorrectly than simply not showing it.

Ahhh...of course I never thought about just manually framing it.  Tunnel vision...

I was thinking if I could create a floor...then it would auto frame?  But...creating the floor platform is where I get lost.