Trouble Selecting "only" One Exterior Wall To Change Materials From 3D View

PaulinColorado

Go to solution Solved by PaulinColorado,

Good morning,

New to CA, X8 (formally using X5).  (current working plan imported from X5)

RE:  finishing up a new modern, 2-story plan with multiple exterior finishes:

When in orthographic view, I'm trying to select only one (or group selecting several) wall using "Select Objects" arrow so that i can change exterior materials.  CA is selecting the floor (when I "open object") It defaults to "room specification" on a particular level instead of the walls...what am I missing as I would like an efficient method of comparing different exterior wall finishes.  I was previously taught "never" to use the spray can on exterior surfaces...

thanks,

I belive you need to select the top of the wall section not the face. Don't need this much but if you select the face try pressing the Tab key to see if it selects the next level.

I use the the material painter all the time. I believe most of the cautionary comments is that you really have to make sure you have the right painter mode selected (bottom left screen) and be very careful to make sure the target is correct (target displays in lower left bottom of screen). It's very easy to actually target something hidden from view or if the mode is not set correctly you will get unexpected results, there are times when this is not obvious in regular camera view modes and may go completely unnoticed.

Graham