Send Elevation Shadow To Layout

johnny

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

I've been trying to send my elevation in (1) color, and (2) with shadows. I thought x8 made that possible to send in vector....but do I need to send as a pic still?

..or is there a setting i'm not selecting to get the shadow to come along? When I watch the x8 video I do exactly that and no shadows.

Johnny,

No, you do not need to send a pic to get color and shadows on an elevation in layout.

If the view in Layout is a Live View and Update always, the layout view should be exactly the same as the actual elevation - ie, the color toggle, shadows and view (vector, standard glass house, etc) type.

So get your actual elevation setting set up correctly and send as Live View, Update Always and all should be OK.

If you use Plot Lines (with or without Color Fill), the live association between the actual elevation and the layout view is broken.

........  If you use Plot Lines (with or without Color Fill), the live association between the actual elevation and the layout view is broken.

Glenn,  I think this statement is confusing.  I do send my views to layout using plot lines.  If I then edit a location of a window,  the window does not auto update in elevation,  but I can hit the magic button and the view is updated.  IOW,  when I hit the update button,  all views are updated.

So when you said the live association is broken,  I am not sure I agree with the statement.

• Solution

Did you check SHOW SHADOWS?  See pic below.  

If you did post the plan.

Here is a question....  if I don't want to show shadows,  what would I do differently?  I don't know.  I am not sure what you are doing wrong.

Post it real quick,  I am curious to see if I can get the shadows to show.

post-50-0-63931500-1456689632_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

when you send it to layout.  Bottom of dbx, make sure the plot line options are set to defaults.  It may not fix the problem, but I have experiences some odd behavior if these are not set to default.  On my system the shadow shows up.  Maybe it is a video card issue.

Did you check SHOW SHADOWS?  See pic below.  

If you did post the plan.

Here is a question....  if I don't want to show shadows,  what would I do differently?  I don't know.  I am not sure what you are doing wrong.

Post it real quick,  I am curious to see if I can get the shadows to show.

Thank you Scott - and everyone else.  I was missing the fact you needed to set the view to have the shadow.  I thought if I sent the view as I saw it then it would keep the shadow....i was wrong.

Although, I will say that there is an issue with the shadow glitching out over the batts....  I sent you the file Scott if you wanted to look at that.  Perhaps that is a bug?

The first pic is from Layout, second is showing there is no issue in the main app.

post-75-0-56291300-1456691811_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-19309000-1456691821_thumb.jpg

Glenn,  I think this statement is confusing.  I do send my views to layout using plot lines.  If I then edit a location of a window,  the window does not auto update in elevation,  but I can hit the magic button and the view is updated.  IOW,  when I hit the update button,  all views are updated.

So when you said the live association is broken,  I am not sure I agree with the statement.

Scott,

I mean the "live" or automatic association is broken.

ie, you have to manually update the view in layout, just as you describe.

I think we are agreeing.

Oh,  so it is working for you.....  you forgot to "I was missing the fact you needed to set the view to have the shadow."  

so you are good to go,  super.

Yeah, sorry I was down to the issue about the batt issue - if you look at the image above the shadow isn't working correctly for the batts.  Although, did you say the file was fine on your system?...so it must be an issue on my end.

Looks to me like the batts are white or light gray. Change them to black in the edit texture DBX. I have an anno-set just for sending elevations to the layout,(Scott does this also) to get the lineweight I want, like windows ,doors, and roofs for the pop effect.