Help From Blighty, Please

ASH_UK

Hi all

We've been searching for software which we can use for client presentations.  We're not Interior Designers or Architects. Instead, we install AV and Smart Homes.  

We have two main needs.

A - 3d Modelling to show layout of TV, speakers, touch panels.

B - Lighting design for mainly residential interiors which we can illustrate the effects of different light sources.

I've played with trial CA and it looks good, however,  before we invest can CA:

1 - Create linear LED effects i.e. LED tape lighting say for 5 meters of uplighting along a soffit (very common in UK)?

2 - Can we build UK power sockets and AV outlets symbols which work in the same manner as the 110 defaults?

3 - Similar to 3, how simple is it to build a 3d symbol for say an in-wall control system touchscreen with a custom image or in-wall speakers

Thanks for your help

:)

1 - Create linear LED effects i.e. LED tape lighting say for 5 meters of uplighting along a soffit (very common in UK)?

This is something you make, there have been a couple of threads about how to do that here in the past. It is not hard to do, once you learn the software and its tools. Basically you create a path and then set a material to emulate the light you want it to emit and make the material emmisive.

2 - Can we build UK power sockets and AV outlets symbols which work in the same manner as the 110 defaults?

There are UK type outlets that can be downloaded from the Chief Architect website - Library Catalog section

3 - Similar to 3, how simple is it to build a 3d symbol for say an in-wall control system touchscreen with a custom image or in-wall speakers

I think that you can find those items or something similar in your Library Browser, Library Catalog section or at Sketch Up 3D Warehouse

Nothing really "happens" until you master the software and its tools, a person uses it to create whatever they want, once you learn how. Many things can be made in Chief Architect or the free version of Sketch Up and then imported into Chief Architect, again, it depends on the complexity of your custom object and how much effort you are willing to expend creating it.

DJP

This is something you make, there have been a couple of threads about how to do that here in the past. It is not hard to do, once you learn the software and its tools. Basically you create a path and then set a material to emulate the light you want it to emit and make the material emmisive.

Well,  I question whether this is easy,  there have been threads regarding this,  not sure if anybody has posted a model to clearly demonstrate the method.  I doubt a newbie can figure this out using DJP's explanation,  I barely understand the method he describes.   I do not think the "emissive" method is the best way to do it.  The best example i saw was when a user used a series of "point lights".

Thanks David

In your opinion, how accurate is the light modelling in CA?  I ask as this is an important decision in our purchase.  I've been further playing with CA, spending time on lights.  Some of the results I've seen in camera view don;t seem right, for example, I used a  wall sconce and the light did not look correct.

I agree it will take time to master but just need to know it is worth investing time and money.

......I agree it will take time to master but just need to know it is worth investing time and money.

It can be done,  not sure if there is an easier program to use than CA.  There are many people on this site that will  probably show you how to do it.  

To clarify,  I think you are looking for the "rope light" effect.  To repeat,  the best result I have seen was when a user used a series of lights turned on,  he did not use the "emissive" method.

Hello,

Thank you for the questions.  The video link below shows one technique for creating strip lights above a soffit.  The segment for the lighting effect is at the end of the video.

I have also attached an image of what this effect looks like in a rendering.  Note that you will need to raytrace in order to get the lighting effect to show in the rendering.  The standard render cameras are not capable of showing the lighting effects to this degree.

https://video.chiefarchitect.com/player/player.php?id=1575&th=1&autoplay=

post-29-0-53141800-1456768655_thumb.jpg

Feel free to contact us should you have any questions.  sales@chiefarchitect.com

Kind regards,

Derek

Sales

Chief Architect Software

Guys

Thanks, for all your input.  Not sure I understand the Emissive method but Derek, your video looks easy and satisfies me as to the possibilities.

I have to say CA is ticking the boxes but (appreciate this is a CA forum) for what we need bearing in mind we're new to 3 modelling, could we get away with Home Design Pro?  The one feature I do know we would loose but really like is the line drawing view.  In your honest opinions would HDP cope with what we want/

HDP can't do raytracing

it is limited to 1 page at a time layouts

many other limits as it costs 20% of what Premier does

you could start with HDP and when you keep banging into its limits

then upgrade to Premier and full cost is applied to upgrade

Lew

Guys

Thanks, for all your input.  Not sure I understand the Emissive method but Derek, your video looks easy and satisfies me as to the possibilities.

I have to say CA is ticking the boxes but (appreciate this is a CA forum) for what we need bearing in mind we're new to 3 modelling, could we get away with Home Design Pro?  The one feature I do know we would loose but really like is the line drawing view.  In your honest opinions would HDP cope with what we want/

I wouldn't even consider using HDP if your goal is realistic lighting design.  I'm relatively certain you're going to need the ray tracing that is only offered by Interiors and Premier.  Download the trial version and take it for a test drive. 

Hello,

Thank you for the questions.  The video link below shows one technique for creating strip lights above a soffit.  The segment on for the lighting effect is at the end of the video.

I have also attached an image of what this effect looks like in a rendering.  Note that you will need to raytrace in order to get the lighting effect to show in the rendering.  The standard render cameras are not capable of showing the lighting effects.

https://video.chiefarchitect.com/player/player.php?id=1575&th=1&autoplay=

attachicon.gifBreckenridge-masterbedroom-concentric.jpg

Feel free to contact us should you have any questions.  sales@chiefarchitect.com

Kind regards,

Derek

Sales

Chief Architect Software

Very nice vid,  thanks Derek and thanks Scott Harris,  nice job Scott.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, it does seem CA is the way forward.

dshall, would you technique work for placing the RGB tape light along a floor?  Quite often long strips of RGB tape are recessed into corridors along the edge.  It needs to appear as one "bar" of light rather than a series of upwardly facing spot lights.

Also, can we create a soffit as a plinth/step?  As, often LED tape needs to be placed on the underside of the plinth/step with the light facing down.

If CA can not achieve these renders it might not be for us.

.....dshall, would you technique work for placing the RGB tape light along a floor?  Quite often long strips of RGB tape are recessed into corridors along the edge.  It needs to appear as one "bar" of light rather than a series of upwardly facing spot lights.

Also, can we create a soffit as a plinth/step?  As, often LED tape needs to be placed on the underside of the plinth/step with the light facing down.......

I doubt you can use the RGB TAPE LIGHT effectally.......  and the reason i say that is because somebody will prove me wrong and you will then have your answer.

I do not know how to do it.

The more I think about it,  I am sure it can be done.  I think Scott demonstrated in his video how you might do it.   It would take a series of POINT LIGHTS that you then need to adjust the CONE OF LIGHT.  

I have not done it,  but I am sure it is possible.  Anybody want to tackle this?

Its always hard to judge a user's needs without seeing examples of work they are trying to duplicate.

From some of the very-professional lighting renders i've seen, it will take an additional program to render final presentation quality design product. There is only 1 software I know of that packages professional light and render abilities into a single package, but I can also tell you from experience using that product that you'll spend MUCH MUCH longer learning to use the application to get where you need to. Even once you learn it, it will then take longer to produce design product - but the result will be better than Chief (but that is due to the fact it was designed for lighting etc).

Just reading your posts and having experience in both Chief Architect and the other application - Chief Architect will be your best bet. However, you may need to add a 3rd party rendering package to your process down the line - depending on the level of "final" product you need.