Chief Architect Premier Versus Chief Architect Interiors

English

I currently use HD Pro and find it just fine but as some of my work will involve bath and kitchen remodels I thought that the Interiors version would suit me better than Premier and save me money.  I looked at the comparison that CA provides between Premier and Interiors and have some questions that hopefully those with more experience can answer.

First let me ask the basic question.  If I am doing a remodel can I make a plan of the house in HD Pro with whatever changes are needed for additions or new or relocated doors and windows then import that into Interiors to do the detail design of the kitchen of bathroom?  Will the program then let me print on larger size paper on my custom layout sheets?

Now the detail questions -- the quotes in italic  come from the comparison chart:

1. What does this mean?  Create CAD Details from within the Project Browser

Right-click context menu allows new CAD Details to be created and named as needed.  

2. How does having this option help me?.  Accurately Layered Floor & Ceiling Platforms

3D model includes Finished Floor and Finished Ceiling layers. Use these layers to add dimension details and define floor coverings, finishes, and sub-layers.

3. What does this option do? Thru-Wall Controls

Specify wall intersections / framing on a per wall end basis using the Thru-Wall attribute. Turn ON or OFF Thru-Wall connection display in plan view.

4. How does this help me?  Accurately Layered Floor & Ceiling Platforms

3D model includes Finished Floor and Finished Ceiling layers. Use these layers to add dimension details and define floor coverings, finishes, and sub-layers.

5. Does this mean that attic walls such as a gable end wall will not generate? Automatic Attic Walls

Control creation and options.

Thanks
Alan

Someone smarter than me has to answer most of your questions.

I do kitchens and other cabinetry- remodel and new construction, and provide demo, new and electric plans, limited framing needed for what I do. I also have to supply drawing to cabinet companies showing openings.

I started with Interiors and quickly found that I needed Premier.

The things that I find make a difference (and worth every penny) are CAD detail from view, annotation sets, and the project browser.

• CAD detail from view gives me a way to make dimensioned drawings of cabinet openings easily. Prior to having that I was either adding lines all over OR exporting to a seperate CAD program and bringing it back. CAD detail from view also helps with drawing "as-built" to layer under plans.
  • Project browser just speeds up work.
  • Annotation sets to control what I see, what gets dimensioned (like only wall cabinets, only base cabinets, etc) and have simpler work environment. That one alone I think is worth the cost.

The only drawback I can see from getting Premier is that the kitchen and bath design tools are not as good.  For instance in Interiors there are a lot of cabinet choices outside of base, wall, and full height.  They have trash/recycle container cabinets, tray storage, etc that will get called out on the detail list.

Alan

Eric

I think there are some features that help in the design process -- particularly the ability to print to larger paper as well as creating construction sets.  I looked at the comparison that CA provides for CA Premier and HD Pro and CA is way better -- but of course you pay for it.

As far as Interior being a subset of Premier is concerned you are correct -- Premier has all the features and Interiors has most but not all.

Alan

I think a plan created in PRO should be editable in Interiors

then if the edit flag in Interiors is turned on you should be able to continue making edits in PRO

if the edits are not related to features that Interiors has that PRO doesn't

Not sure if Interiors has the edit flag for HD products like Premier does

probably best to contact CA's sales for these

they close at 5 PM Pacific and are closed on weekends

you will probably end up getting Premier

Lew

The only drawback I can see from getting Premier is that the kitchen and bath design tools are not as good.  For instance in Interiors there are a lot of cabinet choices outside of base, wall, and full height.  They have trash/recycle container cabinets, tray storage, etc that will get called out on the detail list.

Alan

I don't see a listing that shows anything in Interiors that is not in premier? Wasn't that way when I upgraded from interiors.

Screen shot of cabinets in the core library in premier.

Note that I never ever use any of these. They do not follow the plan defaults which I use to govern what brand, construction, and style I'm working in.

I've gradually built up several of my own cabinets for various brands in the user library, using the cabinets that do follow default settings. I have these all set with each brands specific labeling per item, and have also made it so that any modification can show in a schedule. Grabbed and assembled some shrunken images off last weeks plan for reference.

post-85-0-28093100-1456523235_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-99198100-1456523516_thumb.png

For $700 difference Premier is worthwhile.  Just looking at what interiors doesn't have would make me nervous if I was in your position.

Did you know CA offers a "rent-to-own" program?  You can break-out the cost of your software over time which might help.

(at least I think they still offer that)

I don't see a listing that shows anything in Interiors that is not in premier? Wasn't that way when I upgraded from interiors.

Screen shot of cabinets in the core library in premier...

I have a feeling the person who made that post was simply referring to the toolbar configuration (not realizing there are several).  We have the kitchen and bath configuration in Premier which has several pre-defined cabinet styles to choose from as well.