Sunlight Overhead Or Top Lighted Only Image?

Morphious

I see whats going on. You added the sun angle to your plan (which apparently gives you a different dbx when you try to edit your default sun) . I would just temporarily delete that and then try my instructions again. What Glenn suggested should do about the same thing, I just think the other way is easier.

OK , deleted the old sun angle, and with help from everyone on here I did get the sun overhead  in the Perspective Floor overview with shadowing turned on.   The issue arises when I run the Ray Trace. No matter what settings I have tried I cannot get the background white. It keeps coming out as grey and the overall image is dark, even though in the ray trace options I have changed just about everything even increased all of the intensities to 3+ to see it that would lighten it up, but it would not. I've changed around properties after the setting and I can get the image to lighten up by changing contract etc, but it starts to change the colors and loose contrast in the image.

Ive attached 2 images, the perspective view coloring and brightness is what I'm trying to achieve but end up each time with a very greyed out image you can see in the second image. 

Sorry for being such a NooB

post-4968-0-79344900-1456501536_thumb.jpg

post-4968-0-99100200-1456501536_thumb.jpg

OK I figured it out.   Graham you where right, it was other settings. I started with a new plan and rendered it and compared the settings. For anyone else with this issue in the future. In ray trace, select Edit then go to Lighting and disable the "Enable Environment Light (Outside)".  

Thank you for your help!  

Glad you were able to find a setting that works for you.

It can be a challenge to get a handle on all of the items that have an impact on lighting a scene, especially when you have multiple light sources & types, 3D lights, sunlight and interior/exterior ambient controls to name a few. The effect/result is also impacted on whether or not you use "Use Camera View Settings" in the Raytrace DBX, "Photon Mapping" and "Tone Mapping". Not only is the quality of the scene affected by these but also the time/number of passes needed to generate the scene.

Graham