Custom Shower - Tiled Base - How To Create

HomesByDesign

Hi there,

There are a couple of great videos on creating a custom shower but for the life of me I can't figure out how to establish an elevated tiled base as shown in the attachment.  I tried a pony wall but that didn't work out as well since the bottom wall doesn't have a cap, maybe the best way is to create a pg solid for the cap?  If there's another way I'd love to know. 

Thoughts?

Ron - X8

post-766-0-93409100-1456315661_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-23225200-1456315781_thumb.jpg

I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to this subject, and I do understand and appreciate the wall type technique. However, for those looking for an alternative technique I suggest considering using a partition to create and control all of the elements. You can construct everything with essentially one element, just need to change size, material and position. This provide precise control over positioning, the ability to dimension everything and the ability to work with the elements in every view type. With the addition of say a p-solid there is virtually no limit to how complex of a design you wish to make.

Graham

I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to this subject, and I do understand and appreciate the wall type technique. However, for those looking for an alternative technique I suggest considering using a partition to create and control all of the elements. You can construct everything with essentially one element, just need to change size, material and position. This provide precise control over positioning, the ability to dimension everything and the ability to work with the elements in every view type. With the addition of say a p-solid there is virtually no limit to how complex of a design you wish to make.

Graham

Graham,  would you mind posting a small plan with your method?  Thanks.

I think what Graham is talking about is Joe's method. Joe had a video out I think of he might of even posted the walls for download, I was just looking for it but i couldn't find. It's basically a pony wall with top portion being glass and lower portion you can control half wall or curb.

You save that in your library and you can do bathrooms all day long using any size any height any configuration and put your door any place you like. 

I have a feeling Graham is just talking about using cabinet partitions.  Anyway, that's just a guess.  I think walls, pony walls, cabinets, partitions, polyline solids, solids, slabs, etc. all work just fine and all have their benefits.  I personally like to place a thin (1-4" to 1/2") custom countertop (or similar) on top of my curbs and half-walls though as it provides for a more realistic look and for better material control. 

Yes Micheal, you are correct. Also, as you mention polyline solids and countertops can be used for more complex shapes.

Here's a simple shower plan. Apologize if some settings are not correct, just upgraded to Public X8 and have not set things up.

I put each major item in a separate layer, see "Shower - " to toggle, so you can build or work on the shower piece by piece.

Hope this proves helpful to those looking for an alternative to the "Pony Wall" technique.

Graham

Partition Built Shower.plan

post-4793-0-83327700-1456343769_thumb.jpg

post-4793-0-30401900-1456343771_thumb.jpg

post-4793-0-37915600-1456343772_thumb.jpg

Yes Micheal, you are correct. Also, as you mention polyline solids and countertops can be used for more complex shapes.

Here's a simple shower plan. Apologize if some settings are not correct, just upgraded to Public X8 and have not set things up.

I put each major item in a separate layer, see "Shower - " to toggle, so you can build or work on the shower piece by piece.

Hope this proves helpful to those looking for an alternative to the "Pony Wall" technique.

Graham

Thanks Graham for the plan.

FYI,  I do not like Graham method,  but who cares,  I do not like Joe Carricks Pony wall method,  but who cares,  I still like my method best,  but who cares?

The beauty of this is in this post there are 3 different methods to obtain the same result.  You guys pick  your poison.

Thank you Graham for sharing your method and thank you Joe Carrick for sharing your method.  Of course if you ask me,  my method is the best,  but who cares.  

.....  on a side note.......  do you think Trump will actually be our next president?  Only in America.

Scott - You are absolutely right! The beauty of Chief is that there are many ways to accomplish things. It's up to each individual to devise the method that suits their needs best.

Are you certain you wish to venture into the political realm? I've been glued to CNN for the past 6 months. Even the best writers in Hollywood could not come up with something like this, it's the best reality show out there. Can't wait for the next episode on Super Tuesday.

Graham

I think Scott's method and Joe's method for creating walk-in showers are both great ways to do it. There's more than one way to skin a cat you know?  :P

Although political discussions are forbidden on this forum, I will take a moment to say that I believe the political parties divide the nation. A nation that is supposed to stand as one. A great comic once said "presidential candidate are like two hand fulls of sh*t, the only difference is the smell."  :D  If you're Facebook friends with me, you know where I stand on this race. LOL. 

When I create a walk-in shower, I use a pony wall and cap it off with a counter top. (See photo below)

post-58-0-94479900-1456350844_thumb.jpg

......Are you certain you wish to venture into the political realm? I've been glued to CNN for the past 6 months. Even the best writers in Hollywood could not come up with something like this, it's the best reality show out there. Can't wait for the next episode on Super Tuesday.

Graham

Graham,  I'm like you,  glued to CNN & FOX.  I can't get enough of this stuff.  This is better than the OJ trial.  Super Tuesday will be a lot of fun.

I was trying to decide between Ross Perot and Pat Paulson but went with Pat Paulson, more obscure.  I knew there

were some who were dinosours like me. Besides I thought with the ban on politics I could more easily get by with Pat Paulson.  ;o)

Scott - so far I am not real impressed with the 21st century!  The technology is great but the politicians........not so much!

Got some great posters etc. I'd like to post but will control myself.  Don't want to get banned!!