Customize Toolbar For Specific Task

buzzsaw204

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

hi,

i would like to make a button for a certain size for Hinge Door, or all other Door types

as of right now, if you want to insert 30" door, you would need to change the Door Width, then insert. or inserted then change the width.

is there a method to create a Customize Button in the Toolbar to perform this task. to have multiple preset width....

button for [24"] Door,  [28"] Door,  [30"] Door,  [32"] Door,  [36"] Door, 

then you can select that Door size you'd want to insert.

Here's a quick crappy video going over the basic process...

Michael is there anyway to put all the new icons under one icon instead of having them all in a row, exp. if they were under one icon like it shows with the walls or a drop down menu you would see all them under that one icon and not have a bunch in the desktop, I hope I explained it correctly, also when adding to the lib I been asking Chief to let us have a main lib selected lets say Andersen and when we select a window that we make and give it all its components and sizes that it would save to the file but haven't gotten that yet, would be great when making our own lib with the manuf that we want not having to having to move each one each time it is sent to the lib

Michael is there anyway to put all the new icons under one icon instead of having them all in a row, exp. if they were under one icon like it shows with the walls or a drop down menu you would see all them under that one icon and not have a bunch in the desktop...

As far as I know, we don't have any way of creating a custom dropdown list, but there are 3 alternative options that come to mind...

1. Do as Joe suggests and just use the library.

2. Create a custom toolbar and then just toggle that on or off.

3. Probably the closest thing IMO...Create a custom toolbar configuration specific to the task at hand, assign it a custom icon, and then add that custom configuration button to any given toolbar. Only small downside is that you would have to click on another toolbar configuration to exit the custom configuration, but the upside is that you could load it up with a ton of different doors, windows, or whatever. 

Michael,  I appreciate the vid,  I doubt I will use that for doors,  but I may use that for something else.

When putting in doors,  I put in the first door,  set up my door label,  whether new or existing or pink or blue,  and then I copy that door to other door locations and then quickly change that door to either a garage door or a sliding door or a pocket door etc.  I have found it is quicker and easier that shuffling through a library or whatever.

I don't know which method is quicker,  but what is great is we have multiple methods to achieve the same results.  

Personally, I do a door of each type (exterior, garage, interior, sliding, pocket), set their parameters and then set them as the defaults.  Then I place all the rest of the doors.  Actually, if you have your defaults already set you can skip directly to placing doors using the door tool.

...Probably the closest thing IMO...Create a custom toolbar configuration specific to the task at hand, assign it a custom icon, and then add that custom configuration button to any given toolbar. Only small downside is that you would have to click on another toolbar configuration to exit the custom configuration, but the upside is that you could load it up with a ton of different doors, windows, or whatever.

The more I've thought about it, the more I realize that a custom toolbar configuration could be superior to a drop-down list in a lot of cases for use during specific tasks. I'll try to make a quick video when I have a little extra time.

Michael's video was very good - not crappy.  The one thing he didn't mention was that you could actually create a new "Custom Toolbar" with only doors on it and then dock that at the edge of the screen.  Then you can set it to be visible in any of the "Toolbar Configurations".

Personally, I do a door of each type (exterior, garage, interior, sliding, pocket), set their parameters and then set them as the defaults.  Then I place all the rest of the doors.  Actually, if you have your defaults already set you can skip directly to placing doors using the door tool.

I also do it this way, thanks for the video Michael

VERY NICE..! I've never even thought of making my own icon, never saw the need, but now you got me thinking. A good Chimney stack icon would be nice..!

Mike, your a genius.

I hate to argue the genius thing...

but I'm really only using the tools that Chief has provided. Actually, most of what I brought up is covered pretty well in the Help files (which by the way, I strongly encourage people to use more often). I really appreciate the kind words though Dave :)