Dual Display Chief Crashes

verticalworks

My problem, we just got a new laptop "MSI GS60" for the office and it has a Nvidia GTX970m and the on board is a Intel HD 530. When we have Chief just running on the laptop all works good. When we hook up the second monitor to the HDMI and move the program over to that screen Chief crashes. Crashes when using the 3D. Has anyone had any experiences like this with newer laptops? We have never had this in the past with other laptops. Any thoughts or ideas would be great. I have called Nvidia & MSI, of course each point fingers at each other. One thing I did find out is that all the external display ports route through the Intel card. Both video drivers are up to date and BIOS is current as well. 

I do have the NVidia set for multiple monitors but the intel still over rules the NVidia card. As far as putting the NVidia in control, I was told by NVidia since the laptops HDMI and Mini HDMI come off the Intel card we cannot control the other monitor with the NVidia. I spoke with MSI again this morning and they had escalated the problem, other issue is the second monitor is slow with just general apps.

I took a look at the Matrix display, nothing helped with that here. Chief still crashes when i do 3D rendering, 2D seems to be fine. Did more research and it appears it is a hardware issue, the way the laptop was built and wired. Even though there is a discrete video card the information still passes through the intel card which somehow is making Chief crash. Still no help from MSI but I think they realize its a problem. My last computer was a Sager and worked perfectly, that model must have been wired differently. So it looks like its coming to a $2,000 laptop that cannot run Chief on an external monitor. If anyone has anymore ideas, pass them along. Thanks for all the help so far.

There are some laptops that under normal conditions only use the discrete card when absolutely necessary, it's a method to extend battery life. You may wish to check into this, might be a setting in the power plan to force max performance. Has Chief been added to the software list in the discrete graphics controller management software. Just some thoughts.

Graham

Don't know if this helps- I believe with the advent of Optimus in Nvidia cards the ports all run through the on board card.

Mine are but I run multiples ok. At 1920 x 1080

I have my 24" monitor on a DVI port. If I run it on the DisplayPort it gets laggy. I can run a TV on the HDMI.

The third monitor is a DisplayLink that connects to a USB port. I had to set the DisplayLink software to use the Intel card but never have any problems with it.

Overall I get an occasional crash but that does not appear to be related to which monitor- seams more to do with symbols, temporary files, plan, total overhead or the pilot.

Attached are my settings in Nvidia. Showing the ports are all on the Intel GPU, Global settings set to use Nvidia card (I also set this in Windows power options), Then of course Chief set to use the Nvidia card.

Note I always stay completely away from the Intel settings dbx.

I also use UltraMon but that opens up Windows settings for the displays if I need to get to them. I doubt that matters, just makes managing windows on monitors easier.

If all else fails DisplayLink has adapters -might be worth talking with them?

Another note- I'm on Windows 8.1 I was running the TV off a Microsoft wireless HDMI dongle using Intel Widi when the machine was running Win8. That stopped working with the showroom TV on upgrade, though it works at home?? Mention it cause issue could also be related to the OS?

post-85-0-86076600-1456671262_thumb.png