How To Get Objects To Snap Against Each Other, And Not Keep Moving?

StudioDearborn

Go to solution Solved by johnny,

I am a bit of a newbie, but I've always found that when you move an object in Chief, it moves until it hits something (such as an adjacent cabinet) and then stops.  If the adjacent cabinet is able to move, then the entire block will move if you push it hard enough with the mouse, but objects won't overlap and occupy the same space.

Now this functionality seems to have disappeared.  If try to push a kitchen cabinet against another cabinet it keeps on going, right into space that the other cabinet occupies.  Same with walls, etc.  

Is there a toggle i am not aware of to change this behavior?  I am going nuts!  I need items to snap to each other, and not just melt into each other!  thank you!!

• 6 years later...

I have a similar question, but with opposite desired results.  You know when you get two cabinets close enough together, Chief automatically creates the filler if the cabinets don't touch.  How do you avoid that?  I tried turning off the bump/snap option but that obviously isn't it.  I looked in the cabinet specification dialog but couldn't find anything that I could uncheck.

7 minutes ago, onfire2000 said:

Thank  you.  I did search help from my cabinet dialog box but didn't realize I needed to search the help docs from specific locations to find different answers.

You can also download the Full PDF from the Help Menu , and use the PDF Reader/Editor to search as well

M.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I think what you are referring to are "temporary dimensions".  They can be turned on/off using either the "view" menu or the toolbar button that is on the right side of your screen by default.  You also have some control over how they work in the "temporary dimensions defaults".

4 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

You also have some control over how they work in the "temporary dimensions defaults".

The rest of the "control" (defaults) are picked up from whatever Dimension Default is currently active.

Not sure what Version you are using but in X15 unlike earlier versions you can show  Temp. Dims even if there is an existing Dim. there currently.

M.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:36 PM, Kbird1 said:

The rest of the "control" (defaults) are picked up from whatever Dimension Default is currently active.

Not sure what Version you are using but in X15 unlike earlier versions you can show  Temp. Dims even if there is an existing Dim. there currently.

M.

I'm working x14. This makes so much sense. thank you both @Kbird1and @DBCooper