Does X8 Support This?

DakotaContractor

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Switch to Plot Plan View set. Draw manual dimensions from exterior of building to property line. Send to Layout.

Switch to Interior Framing Set. Draw manual dimensions for interior framing. Notice setback dimensions drawn for Plot Plan are still showing. Delete said dimensions. Dimensions now disappear from Plot Plan done in Plot Plan View set.

Begin nerd rage. lol. 

Wondering if they fixed this issue in X8 or if I have to do another "workaround" by sending to layout as an image or something similar.

You're right about the anno sets. I've spent almost no time digging into all of that yet. But I NEED to get these docs completed lol.

Ok so to achieve what I'm wanting to, I'll need to just keep sending "View" specific dimensions, manual or otherwise, to their own custom layer. So I can keep them out of other views without them disappearing from the views where they belong. I think I'm tracking. Thanks Michael. Had a feeling you'd be the first to respond lol.

• Solution

You're right about the anno sets. I've spent almost no time digging into all of that yet. But I NEED to get these docs completed lol.

Ok so to achieve what I'm wanting to, I'll need to just keep sending "View" specific dimensions, manual or otherwise, to their own custom layer. So I can keep them out of other views without them disappearing from the views where they belong. I think I'm tracking. Thanks Michael. Had a feeling you'd be the first to respond lol.

You bet, and you are correct...until you start using anno sets, simply moving dimensions to their own layers is probably the best solution.

You can do this with the Layersets. You just need to be distinct in what you send to layout being on it's own Layerset. Then you turn off the layers you don't want per Layerset.  The benefit of starting out with the Annotation sets is that you make these decisions before you start drawing and don't have to back track. Saves a lot of hair.

Yeah it sounds like the anno sets are going to be very beneficial once I have the time to school myself on them and set them up. Right Gawdzira to an extent I can. But if I have manual dimensions in one layerset showing and need them to not show in another set, but rather a different set of manual dimensions to show instead. Turning "Dimensions, Manual" on and off won't help me since it'll update live in my layout. However, using Michael's work around for the Anno-Illiterate like myself lol, I can create Dimensions, Manual Interior Framing and Dimensions, Auto Exterior Framing and then turning them off/on in different layersets will achieve what I'm after using live views in my layout. :)

Not sure if this helps, but nothing exists on layers - nothing.  Layers ONLY effect the view settings of the object/item per floor (or with reference sets for different floors).  Everything exists on the level you draw it on and even though you might turn on/off a layer, again its only changing the "view" its not actually "on" that layer.

This nuance escaped me until Glenn shared it with me.  Once I realized that it helped me understand what it was I controlled.

The OOB annosets already are set for Framing, Plot, electric and HVAC dimensions on their own layers with their own layerset.

Just use the annoset to switch layers instead of the layer control-it's an easy start.

Aye, once I finish all these documents I'll really need to familiarize myself with this system and get presets all configured and what not. It seems like it would achieve exactly what I'm after.

If I'm understanding what you guys are saying correctly and am understanding what little I've read in the knowledge base in the past 5 minutes lol. Annotation Set A -> Layer Set -> Layer A is COMPLETELY separate from Annotation Set B -> Layer Set -> Layer A. Correct?

Turning off Layer A in AnnoSet A won't turn off Layer A in AnnoSet B, essentially.

Not exactly-

Annoset A is Uses layerset A- turn off layer Q off while layerset A is active and it will remain off in Layerset A- regardless of the annotation set you use.

You have altered layerset A.

Where it starts to work is that while  Annoset A uses layerset A which shows Layer Q-

Annoset B Uses layerset B, which does not show layer Q 

But that alone isn't the answer you are looking for....

Why annosets will do what you need is that they allow you to have various dimension defaults, and each default can use it's own layer to govenr the view of those dimensions.

i.e

Plot plan uses -plot plan layerset AND uses "Plot plan dimension" defaults which place dimension on Dimensions Plot plan when working or sending to layout.

Switch to Electric annoset- uses electric layerset  (which does NOT show plot plan dimensions), uses "electric dimension" defualts which creates dimension on the Dimension Electric  layer (which does not show up in Plot plan layerset)

They do more than that but it's a start.

And it is possible to have layers on some layer-sets and not on others.

Perry,

Are you 100% sure about that?

I know in older versions that was possible, but that was a few versions back.

It used to cause a lot of problems that way.

Layers can have different names in different layer sets, but as I understand it, layers exist in all layer sets.

How do you create a layer in only one layer set?

Glen, Sorry,  know I used to do it. You are correct as always, my layer-sets have been set for years now ,other than adding a few now and again, and haven't fool with them since. ABL= always be learning. I just talked without checking.