Full Depth Filler Not

Dennis_Gavin

You have to use full depth side panels which have a frame face of 1 1/2", 3" or 6" wide depends on the size you need and room you have to work with. Ref cabinet must have a min 36" clear opening under them, more if located near a wall. If you insert any panel under it you will never fit a ref unless you go for some undersized type. Also if you use a 3/4" panel you cannot attach your cabinet to it. 

Why would you use a filler or cabinet for this application? Your labels and material lists will be incorrect. Fillers, Cabinets and panels have a distinct meaning in the cabinet industry. The "partition" element is the correct item to use. Although the term "partition" may not be universal it is easily understood. Other similar terms are "finished panel", "gable panel", "end panel" and "side  panel".

Graham

Why would you use a filler or cabinet for this application? Your labels and material lists will be incorrect. Fillers, Cabinets and panels have a distinct meaning in the cabinet industry. The "partition" element is the correct item to use. Although the term "partition" may not be universal it is easily understood. Other similar terms are "finished panel", "gable panel", "end panel" and "side  panel".

Graham

I don't think anyone is arguing the terminology.  Just trying to figure out the best way to build the item in question within Chief.  There are several limitations with using a partition, the biggest of which in my opinion is the inability to have a toe kick.

Michael - Agree that if you require a toe kick then you are likely forced at this time to use a cabinet or filler. For the fridge example in the original post I would never have a toe kick cut-out, panels would be full depth to the floor. Can see where a toe kick cut-out may be required for a base end gable panel or possibly on the left & right of a dishwasher. Maybe Chief needs to add this option to the new configuration settings for cabinet accessories, side panel options as to having a kick cut-out.

Graham

Joe - the potential problem with a full height is the duplicate doors and hardware on the back.  IF just presentation no problem

but if you wnt an accurate material list it's a problem.

True, it's all a matter of what you need.  As I stated in post #14, I personally would use Panels just because I don't like installing tall cabinets -  particularly when the sides are unsupported.

In X8 you can get the back correct for a complete cabinet- I use them for inset jobs depending on maker, installer, and client. First set back to match front, then switch to custom and change the doors. Just wish I could extend the sides without increasing the depth- for that I use fillers.

I make panels from cabinets most often since partitions don't go into the cabinet schedule unless you block them-and then they are prone to having the dimensions read backwards depending on floor orientation.

Greg- not sure why you say a 3/4 panel can't be attached to the cabinet ?- been doing/having it done for years, in particular on frameless. The one thing I have run into though is some fridges- in particular Korean ones- nowadays bulge out partway along the side so a nominal 36" fridge that was supposed to be 35-3/4 or so measures at 36 1/4, had one almost 36 3/8 at the girth. You can manage to get that in if you have a face frame (with a shoe horn) but not with a flush side panel.

post-85-0-17187200-1456173181_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-61728900-1456173191_thumb.jpg

Joe - the potential problem with a full height is the duplicate doors and hardware on the back.  IF just presentation no problem

but if you wnt an accurate material list it's a problem.

I've never had this problem. Maybe because I've never set the back to match front. Is there really any reason to do that?

Oh then there is the issue of getting the little puppies in. The attached is for a Sub 48 Pro in a NYC apartment. I had told the client well ahead that he needed to talk with the appliance people, that it was likely they would have to remove the compressor to get the fridge into the apartment. Someplace along the way some bozo decided to make the installers life easier and made this as a single cabinet- because they could. Alas the molding on the outside of the doors in the hallway  line up and make it just a smidge impossible to get the thing to the doorway. So the bozo will be cutting it in half this Thursday and replacing the top panel after it's reassembled- coulda had a V8.

post-85-0-98214800-1456173981_thumb.jpg