Octagon Ceiling In Center Of Flat Ceiling

Aunttieem

Something like this? I used ceiling planes, and the AUTO polygon shape room tool. I also used the regular polygon for the flat ceiling in the middle.

I think mines just a bit bigger. But hey, I finally found a use for that chandelier. 

post-637-0-75026800-1456156439_thumb.jpg

Something like this? I used ceiling planes, and the AUTO polygon shape room tool. I also used the regular polygon for the flat ceiling in the middle.

I think mines just a bit bigger. But hey, I finally found a use for that chandelier. 

Dave, very nice work.

post-6071-0-33947600-1456414710_thumb.jpg

I've done this.
Two rooms, one within another, linked with an invisible wall. The inner room is made taller than the outer ( let's say 20cm taller) and all its walls are made invisible as well. At the exact same position of the invisible walls I put two soffits for each wall, one soffit on top of the other. The lower is a few mm thin to pretend the ceiling and of the same paint and the top reaches to the taller ceiling of the inner room, decorated with moldings. Once I deleted the "inner" ceiling to make it vaulted but I didn't like the outcome.

(Off topic: the opening on the left would receive a fitted cupboard/bookcase)

• Upvote 1

attachicon.gifDiningRoom.jpg

I've done this.

Two rooms, one within another, linked with an invisible wall. The inner room is made taller than the outer ( let's say 20cm taller) and all its walls are made invisible as well. At the exact same position of the invisible walls I put two soffits for each wall, one soffit on top of the other. The lower is a few mm thin to pretend the ceiling and of the same paint and the top reaches to the taller ceiling of the inner room, decorated with moldings. Once I deleted the "inner" ceiling to make it vaulted but I didn't like the outcome.

This isn't exactly what the OP was after, but some pretty creative ideas nonetheless.  I like it!  Nice work. 

attachicon.gifDiningRoom.jpg

I've done this.

That is a good idea,  but suppose there is a floor above,  now you are SOL,  anyway,  thinking outside of the box....  I meant thinking outside of the octagon.

I have also tried a sloped-ceiling octagon but I didn't like the outcome, so I haven't got any pictures to show.

Secondly, yes, this is the ground floor and above that there's another floor. This was never a problem since I always built the rough ceiling taller than the finished ceiling and the ceiling finish is quite thick, so that the finished floor is 2.7m 

@ dshall: what is SOL? Am I the Sun? :-)