Older Version To New Version Reciprocity

GLOBE-Res

Ok I think I know the answer but what about working with different versions of Chief?

Not everyone has the latest and greatest version of Chief.  Consultants, Drafting Contractors, other designers, all have different versions.  The beauty of AutoCAD and Sketch-Up is their ability to work up and down the spectrum of versions.

I have had opportunities to work with other designers but because of version, I wasn't able too connect. 

What is the answer to this issue other than forcing those people to buy an upgrade?

I share AutoCAD versions of my drawings with Engineers and Architects, the FIRST thing I ask is "what version of AutoCAD they use" because if I export in the wrong version they will NOT be able to import and view-edit my exports. The same is true with Chief Premier: "Older versions cannot open plans by newer versions of Chief or Home Designer software" ever has it been so. That is why I have ten Versions of Chief Architect Premier on my PC.

DJP

Will:

ver 9.5 is 9 versions old 10 if you count X8

I don't know of any software that can be compatible with versions that far apart

with chief even 1 version is too much

how should the older version of chief handle features that it didn't  have ???

just leave big gaping holes in the model ???

I do believe that later versions can read/edit Chief 9.5 plans

it won't be perfect but it should load fine

the more versions that are jumped the bumpier the ride

Lew

Lew,

Yep, I've been putting off updating because of the many people I work with who still use AutoCAD.  I've also considered going to Revit because it is widely used in many many architectural firms.  And, with the advent of Sketchup, firms are making the leap to that now as well.

Each has it's own following.  And each has strengths for specific applications.  It's hard to make a decision to just use one.