Saved Camera View

stager386

I frequently send three versions of a design to a client. I would like to have the camera remain in the same spot for different designs.  Meaning, I have 3 designs and each design has 3 views of the room.  I would like to have all 3 camera views be in the exact same spot for each of the 3 designs.  The only way I can do this is by changing the design while leaving the camera in place.  That's a lot of extra work.  Am I missing something or does CA not have this capability?

Not sure if this even remotely will help you but .... in the camera dbx, you could position your cameras in exactly the same locations on other designs/plans if you know the X, Y and angle of each camera.

post-191-0-89322500-1455929660_thumb.jpg

Note that I have a red line cross hair (marker) on the lower left corner of my plan which I have set at X=0 and Y=0 so I can start my drawings in the same location with each project.  This helps keep things close to center and helps keep things from straying out in the boonies which sometimes can be a problem with some plans.

We also always have a few versions, and I'm guessing yours are interiors?

Like Michael I use save as.

We place all cameras as early in the process as possible, before things get crowded. Perspective cameras are moved to a separate layer that we can hide while working to keep things tidy. The first "save as" is kept as is, relatively bare, just in case.

If a camera must be moved then Graham/CJ's method is used.

Also use "copy and paste in place " between plans a lot.

Actually, I think Michael's suggestion is the best ... assuming that you have all three cameras positioned exactly where you want them in the first design scenario.  And of course each camera should be saved in that plan.  Since you are obviously changing something within each of the 3 designs, why not get the first one perfectly set up with all the materials, colors, lighting, etc. and then save [save As] that plan with two other file names, each with the file name uniquely describing a major design change pertinent to each. 

For example, if the first design's unique identifier is Oak cabinets, while the other two use Cherry or Painted cabinets, then that could be the way you might distinguish between the three files - by the cabinet materials.  Because the camera views were saved in the first plan, they are likewise saved/retained in the other two design files.  You don't have to monkey around with making sure they have the right spec's (X, Y, angle, etc.). 

If there are other things that change in the other two designs [e.g., walls moved, different cabinet layout, etc. ... it still should be easier to work from the first file but just making the changes required per your alternative design scenario(s).

Glad I could help.  As you will learn with Chief, it is loaded with useful features that often are overlooked or forgotten as we get into our own little work procedures and methods.  I think David Potter years ago suggested doing an hour or more of daily study of Chief's features just so we can keep up with all the ways CA is setup to help us work.  I don't do it .... but I should.

There's one minor detail that should probably be mentioned just in case. In order to do a Save As and keep the camera in the new plan, you actually have to save the camera. Not at my computer to check the name of the tool, but once you select the camera, there is a tool called something like "Save Camera" in the edit toolbar...click it. Either that or open the camera dbx (or click "Edit Active Camera" while in 3D and check the little box labeled "Saved" (or something along those lines).

Michael:

Yes yes ... see my 2nd sentence .... definitely save the camera [actually all 3 camera views] in the first plan.  Not sure what sort of design work is being done ... I assumed a kitchen, but it could be any room in a home or other building.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You cannot copy cameras, wish we could.

Perry, Would this be the same as a "Save as" feature for cameras? If so this has to be submitted as a vitally serious suggestion if it has not already been done. This would be a major time saver now that we have live views in X8 layout.

We have never been able to copy cameras, you now have to set up each one separately. total time loser if you ask me. But if you use a template plan with the cameras already saved, then it's not so bad. I never create cameras anymore.

Use it with a layout template and pre send all cameras to the layout weather they show anything at all or not. You move the cameras in place on the plan, and the layout shows automatically. big time saver. set up once and done forever.