Layout And Plan Templates

HumbleChief

I did click re-link and tried both plan names and the elevation didn't change or refresh correctly but maybe there's something there? I discovered that the re-link command is for plan views within the Layout not elevation, sections.

And if you 'Save As' within the Layout, make plan changes, the elevations will update, if the new plan name is re-referenced within the Layout.

I would always work on my plans outside of the Layout, re-reference the new plans and wondered why the elevations would not up date. They aren't intended to.

I may still work on the files outside of the elevation and just re-send elevations sections as it's not that big a deal and working on a plan in the Layout is not very convenient - for me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry,

The Elevations and Sections (actually any Camera View) will update only if it's the same camera.  Scott has multiple saved cameras in his SAM.  I do the same thing essentially by copying both Plan and Layout to a new folder. 

In your case, you must have created the elevations for each project separately so the cameras don't have the same "name".  IOW, the path to the view is not the same so Chief has no way to update the view.

Interesting Joe. I can see that logic but I'll need to chew on it bit. That must be why doing a 'Save As' within the Layout works, as it preserves those camera names and paths? And doing a Save As in a simple plan file then re-referencing that plan to the Layout does not have the same camera paths?

That's really strange. If you double click on the layout elevation where does it take you? And once there if you close out the elevation does it ask if wish the layout to be updated?

Graham

I double click a couple time in the video and I think with Joe's explanation it's not strange at all. Those elevations have no reference unless the 'Save As' is done within the layout, which preserves the cameras and their associated path - maybe. :)

I do the same thing essentially by copying both Plan and Layout to a new folder. 

OK let's say I copy both plan and Layout to a new folder. I have an as built plan that I have now saved as a proposed plan and I have saved that plan multiple times and am on Jones Proposed Plan 17, all Save As's done outside of the Layout. How can that last plan, Jones 17, be re-referenced to the Layout and the Elevation be automatically updated? Is that a simple thing I'm missing?

Templates. Completely blank, but all preferences set up to the way 90% of the homes I do are built. I just open and go most of the time. May have to change from basement to crawl space, or change the roof pitch, but other than that, I just open and go.

Thanks Joey, appreciate you taking the time.

Hi Larry - As Joe says, the elevation cameras are unique to the original plan. When you re-link to another plan with different elevation cameras they are not associated with your layout as they have never been sent to the layout. When you opened the elevation in your layout it went back to the elevation cameras in the original plan. This is why you have to open up the new plan, open the elevation camera and send them to the layout.

If however you had copied the original file to a new folder and then initiated the global re-link then everything should be correct.

Graham 

If however you had copied the original file to a new folder and then initiated the global re-link then everything should be correct.

Which is the same as doing a Save As within the Layout?

I've got a couple new jobs I can try some new strategies on and really the only thing that was giving me problems was re-sending elevations which if that's all I end up doing then it's not that big a deal.

Larry - as long as you do the Save As for both the Layout and the Plan and then initiate a global re-link. If you only do the Layout then the associated links will still reference the former Plan as there is no plan that exists with the new Saved As name to re-link to.

The only time this is not applicable is the first time you open a Layout from Template. If the Layout from Template has not yet been saved and you then open a Plan from Template and then send the plan to the Layout it will ask for a Name. When you assign the name it will name both the Plan file and the Layout file automatically. From what I have been able to deduce is that this is the only circumstance where both the Layout and Plan will be named automatically. Once a layout or plan has been named and saved then any renaming as would be the case in a Save As must be done individually to both the Layout and Plan.

Graham

I can't follow what you guys might be doing wrong,  but every one of my elevations and sections NEVER NEVER NEVER need to be resent to layout.  I think Perry and Joe will confirm this.

The only time I send something to layout are the CABINET ELEVATIONS.  

Joe might have the explanation when he says that the cameras are already in plan....  my cameras are already in plan.  I have 16 section cameras,  4 elevation cameras and about 25 cabinet elevation cameras.  As Perry has pointed out,  the cameras are moved to appropriate locations for the new plan.   I only use the cameras I need.

A big advantage for me with having the views in layout is I already have the misc. notes and dimensions already in that view,  I do not need to recreate them.

I can't follow what you guys might be doing wrong,  but every one of my elevations and sections NEVER NEVER NEVER need to be resent to layout.  I think Perry and Joe will confirm this.

The only time I send something to layout are the CABINET ELEVATIONS.  

Joe might have the explanation when he says that the cameras are already in plan....  my cameras are already in plan.  I have 16 section cameras,  4 elevation cameras and about 25 cabinet elevation cameras.  As Perry has pointed out,  the cameras are moved to appropriate locations for the new plan.   I only use the cameras I need.

A big advantage for me with having the views in layout is I already have the misc. notes and dimensions already in that view,  I do not need to recreate them.

That's what I thought Scott. So when you re-reference a new file within the Layout, let's say it's a file from a completely different job, will the elevation update? I'm missing a step somewhere. Thanks for your help

Scott - I think what is happening is that users have a number of different methods as to how they start a new project. Some use templates as their starting point while others recall an existing plan or layout and then do a Save As to create the new project files.  Others may also use file explorer and copy an existing plan and or layout to the new project file folder and then rename then accordingly. The method you use will determine how linked associations are created/maintained.

Graham

That's what I thought Scott. So when you re-reference a new file within the Layout, let's say it's a file from a completely different job, will the elevation update? I'm missing a step somewhere. Thanks for your help

The only way your elevation cameras will update is using the SAM.  One of the upsides of using that method.   Cameras and elevation views are forever tied together and since we cannot copy cameras, the only way to have elevations change is to use the exact same cameras (i.e. by saving the plan WITH the cameras to a new name and linking that plan to a new layout). 

Larry,

If your Plan Template has all Cameras already present and saved, those cameras will be in any new Plan.  If those views have been sent to your Layout Template then it works.  Scotts SAM is essentially a set of Templates that are constantly being updated and used for the next project.  If you have Plans that were created without using the Template with the Cameras then there's no connection.

Chief knows about the Floor Plan Views because they are always the same.  That's only true for Cameras, CAD Details, etc if it was a copied Plan.

....... So when you re-reference a new file within the Layout, let's say it's a file from a completely different job, will the elevation update? .....

No,  you can not do it that way.  You can not reference a layout to some job somewhere else.  

The key is to use the same layout and same plan from a previous job,  do your relink,  and what you have essentially done is to create an EXACT DUPLICATE of the previous job....  and then you are editing the new job.

I might add that I still don't see much of a difference between the SAM and Chief's preferred template methods except that as Joe suggested above, with the SAM, the template is constantly being modified and updated.  If at the end of every job a person saved the plan as their profile plan, they would essentially be using both the SAM and Chief's template method. 

The only way your elevation cameras will update is using the SAM.  One of the upsides of using that method.   Cameras and elevation views are forever tied together and since we cannot copy cameras, the only way to have elevations change is to use the exact same cameras (i.e. by saving the plan WITH the cameras to a new name and linking that plan to a new layout). 

Not quite true.  The cameras can be in the Plan Template.  They can all be sent from the Plan Template to the Layout Template.  Then any new Project using those Templates will automatically be linked.  The same is true if you copy an existing Plan and Layout to a new Folder and rename them.  Relinking will then update everything.

Very well put.....  and Perry's template method does the same as the SAM.  He is copying a layout with an already associated plan,  saving both as project #2 and relinking.  

I have all my cameras linked to the layout and so does Perry.  Both methods are very very similar.  

Not quite true.  The cameras can be in the Plan Template.  They can all be sent from the Plan Template to the Layout Template.  Then any new Project using those Templates will automatically be linked.  The same is true if you copy an existing Plan and Layout to a new Folder and rename them.  Relinking will then update everything.

You are correct.  I realized that right after my original post which is why I followed it up with another post about the 2 methods essentially being the same (as long as the cameras are saved with the template plan).  In other words, one way or another, the same cameras must be used for them to update.