Layout And Plan Templates

HumbleChief

Nice Joe. What about Floor Plan Views? They can use a Layout Label no? Perhaps no macro, but label text correct?

I just use a Text Box with the Text I want - in the Plan.  That way I can set it to the font and Size I want.  You could use %view.name% Plan if you want but the names will be:

Foundation Plan

1st Floor Plan

2nd Floor Plan

3rd Floor Plan

Attic Plan

It works, but it has some limits.  It would be nice if Chief would allow the Floor Plan Names to be edited in the Project Browser - but I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham,  I am confused,  I am telling you that I can relink EVERY VIEW IN LAYOUT TO A PARTICULAR PLAN in one fell swoop.  

here is a vid

https://youtu.be/oK7-1ePBQQw

Scott - Really appreciate the time you spent. Got it! Did not know there was that "Tools", "Layout", "Referenced Floor Plans" that would globally relink the associated files.

Great Job!!! & Many Thanks,

Graham

I just use a Text Box with the Text I want - in the Plan.  That way I can set it to the font and Size I want.  You could use %view.name% Plan if you want but the names will be:

Foundation Plan

1st Floor Plan

2nd Floor Plan

3rd Floor Plan

Attic Plan

It works, but it has some limits.  It would be nice if Chief would allow the Floor Plan Names to be edited in the Project Browser - but I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

I get some really bizarre behavior and can't spend any more time right now but here's what I get when I create a text box and insert %view.name% %scale%.

This is after I got 53/194 in = 1 ft.

post-302-0-88029200-1456160719_thumb.png

Seems to work with Rich Text hmmm. Fail again. One says 1/4" good the other says 1/8" sigh

I get some really bizarre behavior and can't spend any more time right now but here's what I get when I create a text box and insert %view.name% %scale%.

This is after I got 53/194 in = 1 ft.

attachicon.giflayout labels.png

Seems to work with Rich Text hmmm.

Larry,

I do not use %scale% in the Plan.  I know that Chief recommends that macro because it corresponds to the printed (or displayed) scale.  I prefer the scale sent to Layout.

-so-

I use %view.name% in a Text Box in the Plan

and Scale: %box.scale% in the Layout Box Label.

Larry,

I do not use %scale% in the Plan.  I know that Chief recommends that macro because it corresponds to the printed (or displayed) scale.  I prefer the scale sent to Layout.

-so-

I use %view.name% in a Text Box in the Plan

and Scale: %box.scale% in the Layout Box Label.

Interesting - Thanks Joe.

I can see why you don't use %scale% in the plan.

...and using %view.name% in a plan text box will save me a lot of time.

Larry,

Glad I could help.

FWIW, CA's reason for using %scale% is that no matter what sheet size the Layout is printed at, the scale will be correct.  I use not only the %box.scale% in the Layout, but I also place a Graphic Scale in the Plan.  I have a note (Page 0 of the Layout) 

Graphic Scales govern - Text Scales are only correct it Printed Sheet is %sheet.size%

Unless of course you were unaware that there was such a command, which was clearly indicated in my response.

Yeah don't let 'em get to you. :D  :D There's probably a thousand commands I still don't know about after using this beast for 15 years and I pick up one tidbit every day, a lot of the time from your posts.

Perry,

I agree that the Plan views don't have Labels, but they do have names - as shown in the Project Browser.  I edit those names (already done for all Cameras, CAD Details, Sections, Exterior Elevations, etc) and then in each of those views I have a 9" (for 1/4" scale) text %view.name% positioned as needed.  When I send (or previously sent) the view to Layout that name is included.  There's no need to type it in the Layout Box Label. 

I'm all about having everything done in the Plan and the Layout being AUTOMATIC including as much text as possible.  It's also noteworthy that the view name is displayed in the Plan so you know exactly what you are looking at.  Interior Elevations, CAD Details, Wall Details, Elevations, Sections, etc are all automatically named in the Plan and that name is in the Layout.

It's also noteworthy that the view name is displayed in the Plan so you know exactly what you are looking at.

That's the limitation I found with Layout Box Labels. I wanted to see the view name I was working on in i.e. elevation view and the Layout Label didn't let me see that, or was redundant.

Joe,

But I am having a big slowdown ( with leader line text) and can't, at this time, want to add more macro's to my plans until Chief fixes this. It helped when I reduced the amount of macro's in my plans but I really want to add more macro's. Maybe it's just my problem.

nope Im the same, when you start running more than 30-40 macros (not complicated ones) CA does slow down in 2D views.

x8 seems to be slightly better in this regard than x7.

macros involving leader lines and area macros are a killer on cpu drawing time in 2D.

run with minimum u need to get the job done.

Just to clarify what I think is happening.  Macros are normally only executed when the current active view is refreshed.  With most tools in Chief only the thing that's being created or modified is updated, not the entire screen.  Apparently, with Leader Line Text that isn't the case.  With Leader Line Text, it appears that all macros are being executed repeatedly.  That shouldn't need to be the case - and since CA's built-in macros are executed in the main Chief thread (unlike user macros which are executed in a separate Ruby thread) it causes the Leader Line Text to be slow.

Once they find where it's happening in the code it should be very easy to fix.

Im the same. if I remove most of my text, speed improves. I only have to have 5 or leader lines working and I can see a slow down on a 6 core cpu.

once again, the best thing CA can do is improve 2D speed with real world .plan file in operation,

before any further enhancements to the program are undertaken that will slow it down even further.......

need minimal lag in responsiveness to mouse scrolling / zooming - very very important

Here's what always confused me bout re-referencing a plan file within a Layout file. All of the plan views i.e. foundation, electrical, framing etc will be updated after re-referencing but the elevations and sections will not and have to be resent. If the plan file is "Saved As" within the Layout I believe the Elevations will be updated and preserved but not if the plan is worked on and 'Saved As' outside of the Layout. Gotta test that theory.