Corner Anomolies

HighwayMan55

Hello All,

Once again I am back to doing the as built design of my house.  For some reason, it doesn't like the corners in a couple different areas.  First we'll start with the Foyer/Garage section.  In the foyer it seems part of the corner is missing, and in the garage, well it gets really interesting.  Part of the wall is missing, and there is siding showing through and around the corner.  

I am drawing this as built, so there is a little 1 1/2" bump over in the garage, don't know why.

Thank you!

post-9838-0-89828100-1455818842_thumb.jpg

post-9838-0-37855900-1455818861_thumb.jpg

OurHouse.plan

I was going to make a video of me fixing this plan but it has so many wrong settings and bad guesses in it that it would take some time (which I do not have) to straighten it out. My advice to you is to start over after having thoroughly studied the Reference Manual on how to create with this software. I observed that the Room Specification Dialog - Structure Tab settings do not match what one can observe using camera tools. An example is the Garage says it has a floor height of -75 1/2 inches but in fact it is actually, when measured in a cross section camera at -18 inches relative to your lower split landing. There are several instances where the displayed values are found to be radically different from those displayed in dialog boxes when checked in elevation cameras and dimension tools.

DJP

Thank you David, I am learning, and I am learning using my house as my design. 

I have followed the guidelines from this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00932/creating-a-split-level-structure.html

on building a split level house to get the garage where it is.  The -75 1/2 is relative to the finished first floor, not the foyer entry.

And then this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00587/creating-a-split-level-entry.html

to build the split level landing. 

And of course help from the users on this forum!

An example is the Garage says it has a floor height of -75 1/2 inches but in fact it is actually, when measured in a cross section camera at -18 inches relative to your lower split landing.

This is because the garage floor is being supplied by the foundation room below.

Highwayman, I was pressed for time earlier today and in retrospect I may have been to harsh in my dismissal of your plan file. All the corners where dissimilar walls come together can be fixed with persistence and care. There are some improper settings like Glenn pointed out as well as others ( I found that the default settings did not match floor heights when checked in elevation cameras but on the other hand they were not too far off). Such anomalies as you pointed out and posted are neither here or there in terms of construction documentation (those are certainly unwanted but not vitally important), I mean such unwanted lines can easily be removed on layout using the "Edit Layout" tool and so are less significant. My apologies.

DJP

David,

I do not think you were harsh.  I took it as constructive criticism and looked over what I had done, how I had done it, glanced at the reference manual and back again at the articles and forums of which I took direction from and realized that I rushed and went right into something more complicated than your average ranch style house.  Along my short journey I missed some steps and did things wrong.  When I started, I knew nothing about the program.

So I have decided to start over.

And I think that's a good thing.  Because I have not been happy with how the foundation turned out, as I know that's not what my foundation actually looks like. I see I missed some steps when building the initial foundation.  I know a lot more about defaults now, and how the program works as a whole.  And you can't build without a good foundation, be it a house or knowledge.

But, for what it's worth, I'm not really the type of person that can thoroughly study a 1200 page manual, lol.

I suggest that you concentrate on the areas in the Reference Manual and help files that interest you, the areas that you are sure you are having trouble with. I have never met or know of anyone who first read the Reference Manual before starting their first project. Few are those with that sort of self discipline. I suggest learning the program bit by bit, handling the areas you know are giving your trouble in present time.  Be sure when you come across words or symbols that you are unfamiliar with and get then defined, it makes all the difference if you fully understand what you hear or read.

DJP

...it makes all the difference if you fully understand what you hear or read...

This is absolutely true.  The reason I think that there are so many "workarounds" isn't because we need workarounds, its because people never take the time to fully grasp all the little details and how things work (and I think we've all been guilty at times).  We mess around till it looks right without figuring out how or why.  When we take time to figure out the how and why, not only are we unlikely to ever make the same mistake again, it can open up all sorts of new possibilities and often starts to solve what may have previously seemed like unrelated issues.