Remove Tic Marks From Dims

Korel_Design

You are using point to point dimensions. They create a "point" at each end of the dimension string. You can do one of three things…

A. Use a different dimension tool

B. Open each point individually and change the marker radius to zero

C. Edit the default settings for point markers to make the radius zero

I use the End to End dimension tool quite a lot and don't always get the point markers except when this dialog pops up:

post-191-0-07517700-1455907684_thumb.jpg

In this image I was doing a quick check on my truss heel height to see how much I wanted to raise the roof planes for added insulation depth.  I ended up putting in a CAD line to dimension to as I wasn't getting the dimension to snap where I wanted it to.

Glen:

I agree .... here's the E to E dimension tool in action again:

post-191-0-24978600-1455924193_thumb.jpg

I use the Pt to Pt tool sometimes in kitchens with islands to verify walk space between cabinets at an angle and get the extra points .... sometimes also run into snapping problems with cabinet elevations when dimensioning and the points show up on those as well .... (and other uses I can't think of right now).

I've been getting points added when I have manual (either just manual or end to end-I never use pt to pt) dimensions and edit cabinets. Example shows elevation with no temporary points, second shows same elevation AFTER the cabinets were edited in plan view.  These cabinets were edited in Plan -deleting what was there and then pasting in the drawer bases.

The annoying part is that these are not removed by "delete temporary points" Not so bad in the example below where the difference is easy to see. Gets to be a problem when the difference is small so it is easy to miss. 

I believe I first noticed this in X7 but has become persistent in X8??

I can't find a setting to prevent it and can't get delete points to do anything to these automatically added points. So I've resorted to deleting all dimensions once things are settled and redoing them, which kinda stinks. It really stinks when I'm doing a full house with multiple rooms of cabinets...still less trouble than getting the wrong thing delivered.

Stripped down a plan and added it here.

post-85-0-00918300-1455982889_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-06688400-1455982902_thumb.jpg

I've been getting points added when I have manual (either just manual or end to end-I never use pt to pt) dimensions and edit cabinets. Example shows elevation with no temporary points, second shows same elevation AFTER the cabinets were edited in plan view.  These cabinets were edited in Plan -deleting what was there and then pasting in the drawer bases.

The annoying part is that these are not removed by "delete temporary points" Not so bad in the example below where the difference is easy to see. Gets to be a problem when the difference is small so it is easy to miss. 

I believe I first noticed this in X7 but has become persistent in X8??

I can't find a setting to prevent it and can't get delete points to do anything to these automatically added points. So I've resorted to deleting all dimensions once things are settled and redoing them, which kinda stinks. It really stinks when I'm doing a full house with multiple rooms of cabinets...still less trouble than getting the wrong thing delivered.

Stripped down a plan and added it here.

Mark,

I took a quick look at your plan.  You actually don't have to go through the series of operations you described.  Simply delete any number of cabinets WHILE IN PLAN VIEW and all associated dimensions locations are replaced with point markers.  Deleting cabinets WHILE IN ELEVATION does not have the same effect.  It does the same thing with both automatic and manual dimensions. 

post-46-0-33078800-1455995783_thumb.jpg

Not sure whether this was an added feature or a bug.

Regarding a way to delete those points, just turn off all layers except the associated dimension layer.  You can then pretty quickly select all the points and delete them. 

It's a catch 22 Michael- delete cabinet in elevation (or change it in some cases) and the points are placed on the floor plan instead.This one has gone through so many changes I just didn't currently have that one wall dimensioned in plan at the moment. Try it on the island.

I'll make a layer set to try your method for deleting the points but the way I place dimensions it may be just as easy and safer to simply dump them- will depend on the plan. Thankfully I noticed this before any real order problems developed but first ran into it when getting plans back from my assistant. We both have to be on top of this so I'm aiming for safety.

Not sure whether this was an added feature or a bug.

This is new(ish) yes? just checked and it is the same in X7 -guess I'm noticing it more in X8 due to number of revisions the latest batch of problem children ask for. Was it in X6? I don't have that loaded.

It's a catch 22 Michael- delete cabinet in elevation (or change it in some cases) and the points are placed on the floor plan instead.This one has gone through so many changes I just didn't currently have that one wall dimensioned in plan at the moment. Try it on the island...

Interesting.  You are correct.  I tried deleting one of the doors on that interior wall while in elevation and a point marker was added in plan view.  Seems to be pretty consistent.  Curious now whats different between my workflow and yours as I've never noticed this behavior before. 

The only thing I can think of is I only use manual dimensions ? End to end or just manual-have annoset/layersets that allow me to dimension wall cabinets, base, room/walls etc.

Does not appear to happen with auto dimensions.

Then too, I barely noticed this in X7- think occasionally. Could be how late in the game we were getting heavy revisions so it became more apparent-

or maybe I only got an assistant in the last year so swapping plans brought it up. Maybe I just automatically dealt with it not thinking. Dunno.

...I'll make a layer set to try your method for deleting the points but the way I place dimensions it may be just as easy and safer to simply dump them- will depend on the plan...

Try using this method to isolate the appropriate layer...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8130-isolate-layer-tip/

Or activate the Point Marker tool and then just shift select all the points with a marquis. The points are on the dimension layer, but they're still just point markers.

Hey and this is odd- tested "transform replicate-move" in elevation- get point marker in elevation- go to plan and the dimension changes as I'd expect with no markers. Backwards from the delete behavior. At least it is instant feedback.

As to just deleting the points, my biggest concern is missing some in one view or another somewhere and getting an order wrong.

I'll fiddle with it, have a couple of big ones (9-10 rooms of cabinets, baths, multiple elevations, details, electric and lighting plans) that I really don't want to redo all the dimensions (then again for those I REALLY don't want a mis-order) Suppose I can delete by room instead of all.

This is up there with 2020's magic disappearing user dimensions- the feature? coupled with disappearing notes got me to switch.