Roof Plan & Reference Sets

jscussel

Go to solution Solved by HumbleChief,

I have a roof plan with upper and lower roofs.

I have everything the way I want it except the roof labels.

I can not get the roof labels for the lower roofs to show. They are turned on in the reference set.

I would appreciate any help. Using X8.

post-93-0-80214500-1455730269_thumb.png

Move the lower roof layers up.

Don't,  turn on roof labels in the ref set......  the roof labels are separate from the roof planes.

You say the roof labels are turned on in ref set,  I do not believe it.  Turn roof labels  on in the ref set.

Post plan if you can't figure it out.

Some times Chief insists on using terms that absolutely no one can understand without a deep deep knowledge of computer programming.

I mean "Use XOR Drawing" Really?

Who could possibly know what XOR Drawing means? I still don't know, I just check and uncheck it and see what the view looks like. Isn't there some plain English that would work better in this, and many, many other places?

...Who could possibly know what XOR Drawing means? I still don't know, I just check and uncheck it and see what the view looks like. Isn't there some plain English that would work better in this, and many, many other places?

They actually have some relatively plain English in the help files...

" Use XOR Drawing changes the color of lines in the Reference Floor that are drawn on top of one another. Lines with identical properties do not display."

That didn't help me any though when I read it as it doesn't seem to do any of the above...go figure. 

I've just done the same as you in the past...If something isn't working, toggle XOR on and off to see if you get what you want.  I usually like to figure out exactly how things work and to understand why things do what they do, but in this particular instance I've currently just given up. 

"nervously raising hand...."

what does "XOR" stand for?

Funny Rashid.

There's a good point that's been made about whether or not the programmers should be allowed in the interface and in this case it's obvious they should not. XOR is probably a pretty common term among the programmers and when they put that term in the interface no one among the programmers bats an eye - but - they forget that users are not programmers, and in the case of Chief it's all too common to see this disconnect.

Some of the programmers here on the forum and as users don't see a problem either but to everyday designer/architects there's a huge disconnect.

And it's not like it's a problem to say "Show hidden lines" or "Show overlapping lines" or whatever the plain English version might be, the problem is none of the programmers think that way. I have much respect for the programmers and have said this numerous times on the forum - Love them but they should not be let near the user interface IMO.

I was at the UGM in Idaho and was discussing the sun angle dbx with a couple of the devs and wondered how any normal user should know how to get the sun directly overhead. I told them of a story where I asked a good friend and computer geek old school electrical engineer and he guessed +90 degrees, then +180, and we both played around until we discovered that getting the sun directly overhead required the arcane and little known but to the programmers, -90 degrees.

They nodded their heads and thought that yeah a physics guy or someone used to using X/Y/Z coordinates all day might get that but everyday users? Not a chance.

Chief has a huge opportunity to simplify the user interface in upcoming versions and I think it will serve them well to do so. (and don't get started on the structure dbx.)

XOR is a programming logical comparison of 2 values.

If both values are equal it evaluates as "true"

If the values are different it evaluates as "false"

Of course, this is pretty much meaningless to Chief Users.  Programmers understand the term but it's pretty much gobbledygook to non-programmers. 

XOR is a programming logical comparison of 2 values.

If both values are equal it evaluates as "true"

If the values are different it evaluates as "false"

Of course, this is pretty much meaningless to Chief Users.  Programmers understand the term but it's pretty much gobbledygook to non-programmers. 

I rest my case.  :D