Rotating plans

Nicinus

I started out doing a plan in portrait mode as I typically work with the front door down. However, for the construction documents it make more sense to have everything in portrait.

What is the best way of rotating your work 90 degrees? I've searched the old forum and is seems as if Rotate plan view have some issues, and the recommended way is to use Edit Area/All floors?

I'm asking since I don't want to go ahead and then have issues later on if I can avoid it. I seem to remember some warnings that precision could be lost with one of the methods? I also noted that neither method rotated my text. :/

But does that one affect room labels? Can't seem to get that to work.

However, the Rotate Plan View does not seem to be what I'm looking for. I noticed if I try to adjust an object with the arrows and nudge upwards, the object now goes to the left.  :)  I would go crazy if I had to develop the plan like that. How can I rotate permanently?

I read about the Rotate Plan View command, and it seems more like a purely visual guide, it says it doesn't rotate objects but only the view as I see it on screen. That may be where previous comments about less precision comes from, if it is rdrawing everything at an angle. Either way, could be a very useful tool if one could switch it on an off with a button on the sidebar. Could then be set to either front being south or true north. It does not seem like I would like to work in this mode.

Since I don't want to redraw my work I guess I have to look at Edit Area then. This didn't seem to work completely for me though. What can I do more than have all layers visible and choosing All floors?

DO NOT use Rotate Plan View - it is like turning the drawing board around - as you have discovered. 

Edit Area (All Floors) should work - don't use the Visible option.

Or...select everything and use the rotate arrow...or use Transform/Replicate. 

I would assume that you do not want your text to rotate as it is probably drawn horizontally and that is probably how you want it to remain - so don't select it.

• Upvote 1

I did use the Edit Area All Floors and had all All On Set, and then rotated 90 and it seems to have worked. Except for the room labels.

I hear you, won't do that mistake again. It's just that I mentally like to have the front of the house downwards.

I would assume that you do not want your text to rotate as it is probably drawn horizontally and that is probably how you want it to remain - so don't select it.

I didn't dare to try deselect anything, but even if I could pin all those small labels, they would be in the wrong place after rotating the whole plan, wouldn't it?

It does bring up another question, is there a way to select similar objects? Like I select a room label or a furniture and can then select all of the same type? Revit has a useful 'Select similar' option, and also a filter that lets you select a range of objects and then choose which ones you keep in the selection.

There are several ways to select similar objects.

Select the tool for the objects you want to select and then draw a marquee around them. Only those objects will be selected.

Use the Select Same Type tool.

Shift select the objects.

There are probably other ways as well.

• Upvote 1