Round Texture

MigP74

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I would like to apply a custom texture to a round dish. The image I have for the texture is square and when I apply it to the plate it doesn't show it correctly even though I have it set to stretch to fit. Is there a specific way to do this? Thanks in advance :)

Stretch to fit does precisely that and nothing more. it is the resolution and size of the texture and how well its edges are trimmed that determines how it looks on an object. No other advise or comments are possible since you have not shared an image of your texture or how it looks in Chief.

DJP

• Upvote 1

I have tried that and it still shows all wonky. Could it be because the plate isn't exactly a flat round disc, and has instead the shape of a plate? Or maybe because when I define the dimensions of the plate on the stand, I do so for the two things combined as I don't think there is a way to define dimensions to each separately.

I took your picture & I deleted out the wood background then applied that to the Chief Plate, (the one in the middle of the picture provided) it looked ok, but then applied to the Chief upright "large plate" (the one on the far right) looked a bit better but the edges were distorted.. On the far left, it looks almost perfect when using a simple round polyline..

X8 Plan Attached. Hope that helps you out..

post-637-0-44719600-1455652746_thumb.jpg

plate.zip

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone.
I had already made a PNG image with transparency around the round plate and used that.
As for using a round polyline, I have thought about having to resort to it, since the plate on the library has two distinct geometrical objects like any plate should - the inner round area, and the outer, slightly raised from the centre area. That would mean I'd have to find a plate stand to go with it too :(

Ok, I've resigned to creating the plate from scratch as a round polyline. The texture now appears correctly when using stretch t fit.
I have used the same method on a wall sculpture (created a background image to help me create a faithful polyline, dimensioned the polyline as the image, etc.). The texture appeared correctly here too. However, as soon as I moved ort rotated the sculpture, the textures went all wonky again. Any idea what is causing this?

Photo of the sculpture (transparent PNG):

post-10048-0-40607200-1455705744_thumb.png

Screenshot of how it looks now:

post-10048-0-24470500-1455705801_thumb.jpg

Thank you so very much for taking the time to make a video in reply to my problem. The problem is the sculpture is supposed to be hung on a wal as opposed to just stand on a surface and doing it like that would make it appear facing the camera when the wall isn't facing the camera :)

Thank you so very much for taking the time to make a video in reply to my problem. The problem is the sculpture is supposed to be hung on a wal as opposed to just stand on a surface and doing it like that would make it appear facing the camera when the wall isn't facing the camera :)

Ok, then use Michael's Trick, Choose Build-Image-then choose Create Billboard Image

post-637-0-21918500-1455726998_thumb.jpg

post-637-0-96081600-1455727101_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

...Michael, I had no idea there was a build>build image tool. Nice.

That's funny. I think I remember briefly reading about the tool back when I first started using X3 but never used it and totally forgot about it. Fast forward a few years...I was using a plant to try and get an image to always face the camera and I thought to myself..."This is stupid, how did Chief make these plants and why wouldn't they give us a way to make our own or to make 2D people images?" So I started scouring all the tools and reading the help files...and eventually stumbled on the Build Image tools.

That's funny. I think I remember briefly reading about the tool back when I first started using X3 but never used it and totally forgot about it. Fast forward a few years...I was using a plant to try and get an image to always face the camera and I thought to myself..."This is stupid, how did Chief make these plants and why wouldn't they give us a way to make our own or to make 2D people images?" So I started scouring all the tools and reading the help files...and eventually stumbled on the Build Image tools.

What is that they say, If you don't use it....   I'm SUPER GUILTY OF THAT...! 

Nice work you guys and great to have your energy on the forums David. I've learned so, so, much over the years from your very generous web site.

Michael, I had no idea there was a build>build image tool. Nice.

Thanks Larry - I almost forgot how much fun it was hanging out here..!  :D