DakotaContractor

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

...... I had read that they suggested starting a new profile plan because of all the changes.

THIS IS WHAT CA RECOMMENDS,  I HAVEN'T STARTED A NEW PROFILE PLAN SINCE X3 CAME OUT.  MAYBE EVEN EARLIER. I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM.  THE ONLY  PROBLEM THAT I MIGHT HAVE IS THE PLAN EVENTUALLY SLOWS UP,  BUT I AM NOT CONVINCED THE REASON FOR THAT IS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN BRINGING PLANS FORWARD.  I HAVE BEEN TOO LAZY TO START ANEW.  

I am having a few issues with my templates I brought forward so I may spend some time changing over.

I HAVE NOT HAD PROBLEMS.....  THAT I KNOW OF.

As to the original post, having the templates set up the way you like to complete the drawings gives you a really good guideline. Hard to go wrong if you complete all the pages.

YEP,  I AGREE.

The SAM or the Template method,  essentially the same idea,  the SAM gives you the latest and greatest,  the Template method means you do not need to strip the old project out of the plan file.  6 of one,  half dozen of the other.  Pick what works best for you.

Scott,

I had a problem with a plan brought forward that I sent to CA.  Basically the Stair Top Elevation did not match the 2nd Floor Elevation.  The problem was apparent in the dbx for the Stair vs the dbx for the 2nd Floor Room. 

New plans from X8 Templates don't have that problem.

I am hoping they will have it fixed in the next X8 update.

Scott,

I had a problem with a plan brought forward that I sent to CA.  Basically the Stair Top Elevation did not match the 2nd Floor Elevation.  The problem was apparent in the dbx for the Stair vs the dbx for the 2nd Floor Room. 

New plans from X8 Templates don't have that problem.

I am hoping they will have it fixed in the next X8 update.

I cannot explain why you would of had that problem.....  except maybe.....  and I have not seen this....  but you can now define the top of the stairs as either at the top tread or at the second floor level....  thank goodness they finally put this in.  

BTW,  I just tested on an old plan,  I did not have problem.....  so,  I do not know what went wrong with your  plan.  Did Brian confirm he too experienced the problem"

Brian did confirm it - I haven't heard anything more from CA.  It really should not matter, but the numbers are off by the thickness of the Floor Finish.  It essentially is making the Stair that much too tall and results in the risers being a fraction taller than they should be.

Scott's sam method is a great way to roll for text and cad lines and details that are used frequently.  It seems the problems that CA has is with defined rooms, roofs, etc.  Apparently, there is a lot of information floating around on a plan that we don't see.  Even with walls removed, it remembers the room type and ceiling height for the area it was located.  I not sure but I think the problem develops when a plan gets several generations away from the original.  It must get confused and starts doing unexpected things.  I use a hybrid method of SAM.  Create a new template from the new version x8.  I then copy/paste relevant things from the old sam plan.  I then save that as the new sam plan and use it as the starting point for all new plans.  The only down side is that modifying the defaults as you are working on a plan must be written down and added to the new sam plan.  In other words, I don't make a new plan from and old one.

Brian did confirm it - I haven't heard anything more from CA.  It really should not matter, but the numbers are off by the thickness of the Floor Finish.  It essentially is making the Stair that much too tall and results in the risers being a fraction taller than they should be.

Got it.  Yeah,  if we start throwing in F.F.,  it does complicate things a bit.  The stairs do  not have a finished floor.

I had to make a new template plan for X8...had some issues with the template I have brought forward over the years. Sometimes it's OK to start fresh and take a look at how you do things now compared to how I did things in X1 (which is when my template originated). I did find some things to change, a few things to "update" and what not. 

Unfortunately, sometimes we really need to bring a plan forward from an older version.  Technically, a Plan is no different than a Template.  The only difference is that when you create a new plan from a template you have to give it a new name when you save it.

The fact is that when we bring a plan or template forward it really needs to work 100% with the new version.  That means CA has to internally modify the file structure to accommodate all changes required.  Anything less is just not going to work.