DakotaContractor

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Does anyone have a checklist or a link to one for construction documents that should be in a set of standard residential blueprints?

I realize some are situational, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'd rather create too much than not create enough.

Is it possible for someone to open a layout file without the plan? If that would help answer my question. Just let me know and I'll attach it or a PDF of it.

So far I have:

1. Cover Page (w/ Sheet index, Project Details, Building Area, Project Area (with Satellite Photo)

2. Front & Rear Elevations - w/ vertical & horizontal dimensions.

3. Right & Left Side Elevations - w/ vertical & horizontal dimensions.

4. Floor Plan Overview - w/Exterior Dimensions, Room Designations (w/dimensions), Light Fixture Locations, etc.)

5. Foundation Plan - w/dimensions & special designations for non-standard foundation walls (No cross sections)

6. Framing Overview - w/interior dimensions, exterior dimensions, and wall type designations w/ wall type cross section details.

7. Exterior Framing Elevations - w/dimensions, door & window schedules.

8. Cabinet Schedule - w/cabinet details (elevation views)

9. Electrical - light, outlet, and switch locations. Etc.

Thanks guys!

Develop a layout and plan template with all that stuff already in it and you will not forget anything, you will probably delete stuff (its easier than adding stuff.). I always look for things that shorten the drawing time. Also I have all views already sent to the layout so you can just open them , change the name and start drawing, everything automatically sent to the layout.

That is an excellent idea Perry. If I understand you correctly. I can create a "layout template" so when I start drawing a plan the layout will already have all the pages and "views" and be auto updating as I start designing? If so that would be such a time saver.

Now I just need to make sure I have all the necessary pages in the initial template. This is my first time having to create construction documents. I've always been the guy having to read them, never the guy have to create them lol. So i'm trying to run through my head to figure out everything I would look for as the guy trying to build it.

Actually I brought in my details from a cad program I did them in, many years ago, I just copy change and save them to my lib. to insert into the layout. The details I show are just the usual ones I use all the time. I have developed a lot of details over 40 years. Never draw them anymore, just change as needed.

As a CPBD, there is a specific set of guidelines aka "checklist' we more or less follow.  Its about 5-10 pages and covers every system in the house, the structure, foundation, site planning, landscaping etc. Quite a lot to go through, but like Perry said, if you can make a template for yourself that will save a lot of time. As for details, I rarely have to design them myself, CA has plenty and I discovered a source on line years ago that I purchased and received a CD with over 1,500± details. It had a detail for everything a person could ever dream of. Sure made my life a lot easier. I just tweak a few things and I am done. No need to add extra design time.

I guess I'll have to start working on figuring out what details I actually need then I suppose and making sure I have them or making sure I obtain them. 

I am primarily trying to make sure that I don't have necessary things left out for the sake of my subs or when submitting for permits to the zoning office. I'm not sure how much leeway I have on the level of detail in my construction documents since my plans are only for me to build.

Any chance any of you knowledgeable gents would be willing to glance over a PDF of the plans to see if I'm missing anything crucial? It's only 9 pages. 

• Solution

I guess I'll have to start working on figuring out what details I actually need then I suppose and making sure I have them or making sure I obtain them.

I am primarily trying to make sure that I don't have necessary things left out for the sake of my subs or when submitting for permits to the zoning office. I'm not sure how much leeway I have on the level of detail in my construction documents since my plans are only for me to build.

Any chance any of you knowledgeable gents would be willing to glance over a PDF of the plans to see if I'm missing anything crucial? It's only 9 pages.

In my experience and in my opinion, it really depends on your local building department and your subs.

My personal technique is to give as little as possible to the building department and then decide what...if anything...beyond that is needed for actual construction. If it's something I'm doing myself, I really don't need much at all in the way of extra details. If there are a lot of subs involved I'll add more details as deemed necessary.

I like to keep things relatively minimal either way though. The more clutter, the harder it is to sort through, and the more unnecessary notes and details you have, the more likely the IMPORTANT details are to be missed or ignored.

That's sound and great to hear Michael. Most the subs are happy enough with the plans I've already given them or they have their own like the HVAC guys. So that actually makes me feel quite a bit less overwhelmed. Guess I'll do a dry run with the zoning office and see what, if anything, the bureaucrats tell me I need to add and go from there. Would be nice to not have to add things like details & building specs for hurricane clips and anchor bolts etc. when I already know what I need to meet local codes as do the relevant subs. Plus I'll be on site all day everyday so that should help to.

since I did projects in about a dozen counties in the DC metro area

which included MD and VA and other states across the US etc

I checked each jurisdictions website for their checklist and/or called them

In my contact I would list "items included" and "items excluded"

there was no way I was getting into doing Chesapeake Bay Impact Studies and other items

that were beyond my "forte"

If the client needed those items I might assist in finding who did them or leave it to the client to find them

as Michael said - best to do the "minimum required" for the permit office

the more that was there the more they had to review and maybe redline etc

while we did 1/10th of the permits that others do - before I retired

we did bat 1000 on acceptance on first submittal :)

BTW: just for grins  I would surf the web looking for checklist

in any jurisdiction and add items from then to my "master list" of items to consider

for inclusion or exclusion

Lew

Thank you for the links Jere & Facer. Those will give me a good basis for building my templates as Perry suggested. It does seem I'll have to go in to the zoning office to see if they have a checklist at all. Their website was no help. I'm in sort of a weird location lol. If the development was 2 more miles east I wouldn't need permits at all because it would fall into county jurisdiction and they have no codes at all. I could build a house out of straw if I wanted to haha. Smaller town joys. Upside I don't have to worry about "green" building at all and it is very easy to know everyone in the office and get on their good side :)

I appreciate all the input and help guys. I knew going in it would be a difficult question to actually answer fully since the requirements vary so much from place to place. But ya'll have given me a great deal of tools to make creating a standard far easier. Cheers!

Barrett, the video would have to be very long to detail it all.

Dennis , I use to do it that way b/c Chief said no problem ,but they now have changed their minds on this a recommend you start with a fresh new profile plan and layout so nothing gets left behind. Go figure.

Thank you Perry. I had read that they suggested starting a new profile plan because of all the changes. I am having a few issues with my templates I brought forward so I may spend some time changing over.

As to the original post, having the templates set up the way you like to complete the drawings gives you a really good guideline. Hard to go wrong if you complete all the pages.