Modern Stairs

johnny

I'm working on some modern stairs that faces the riser with finished wood (similar to the pic below). I can't see an option to set the riser material different than the "skirting" material. Am I missing this option, or am I going to have to manually place a riser material (poly)?

post-75-0-62080600-1455523617_thumb.jpg

I read your original post a couple days ago and I got to thinking about it afterward. You can't do what you're talking about automatically, but it's really not all that difficult to do manually. At around 12 minutes I think, it's a little longer than I would like, but here's a relatively quick video going over some of the limitations we have and what I think are some fairly simple solutions. It's longer than it needed to be for the particular issue you brought up Johnny, but I wanted to address a couple other scenarios while I was at it...

• Upvote 1

I read your original post a couple days ago and I got to thinking about it afterward. You can't do what you're talking about automatically, but it's really not all that difficult to do manually. At around 12 minutes I think, it's a little longer than I would like, but here's a relatively quick video going over some of the limitations we have and what I think are some fairly simple solutions. It's longer than it needed to be for the particular issue you brought up Johnny, but I wanted to address a couple other scenarios while I was at it...

https://youtu.be/3UcJmLXe85Y

I just have started to think of it when I saw your post! Just pay head, i got it! i will post a video as usual. His origional request is possible. And don't ever use the word like "you can't do....." ......Chief is unpredictable amazing software.

...And don't ever use the word like "you can't do....." ......Chief is unpredictable amazing software.

Okay okay. :) I usually try to use qualifiers like "… that I know of..." or "...unless I'm missing something...". I guess I sort of dropped the ball this time :(

Anyway, looking forward to your video to see what you've come up with!

Alaska, here is the video. hope the sound is OK.https://youtu.be/23NdkQme02g

That was a very informative video Yusef. Thank you. That's actually the first technique I tried but it wasn't working for me for some reason. I couldn't get the second set of stairs to be any narrower than 3" I think. Anyway, I can see that it's obviously possible and I just didn't try hard enough. Nicely done :)

That was a very informative video Yusef. Thank you. That's actually the first technique I tried but it wasn't working for me for some reason. I couldn't get the second set of stairs to be any narrower than 3" I think. Anyway, I can see that it's obviously possible and I just didn't try hard enough. Nicely done :)

Thanks Michael, I am glad if that helped.

That video actually got me to thinking... That technique could potentially allow for some pretty complex railing designs too.

Michael, I bet long time ago. They don't listen, some of us here believe that chief isn't lacking. there is a saying here " bad carpenter blames his hammer ....." We have said a lot about the potential of chief.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/3408-easiest-way-to-create-a-circular-stair/#entry29006

Good solution with the stairs, and not that long to do - It would be good if Chief Architect would take note of such efforts and provide a solution in their stair tool - it would not be a big issue, and then we could have the layers and materials costs included without to much hassle.

Thanks for your efforts Michael - it will help me next time I do a stair.

Good solution with the stairs, and not that long to do - It would be good if Chief Architect would take note of such efforts and provide a solution in their stair tool - it would not be a big issue, and then we could have the layers and materials costs included without to much hassle.

Thanks for your efforts Michael - it will help me next time I do a stair.

You bet Michael.

On a side note for anyone following this, the method in Yusefs video works as well, although I've tested it in a couple plans with some pretty mixed results. It seems to be pretty jumpy. Painting results when connected to a landing can be inconsistent (and actually even changes the STRUCTURE of the narrow stairs in some cases). Railings are also a little jumpy and inconsistent.

You bet Michael.

On a side note for anyone following this, the method in Yusefs video works as well, although I've tested it in a couple plans with some pretty mixed results. THE PSOLID METHOD OF ALASKA WORKS FOR ONLY STREIGHT STAIRS AND EVEN TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT COMPARED TO THE MY ONE

It seems to be pretty jumpy. Painting results when connected to a landing can be inconsistent (and actually even changes the STRUCTURE of the narrow stairs in some cases).

IT NEEDS SOME ADVANCED TECHNIQUES TO MODEL, BUT YO CAN GET RID OF THIS SITUATION BY MAKING A SYMBOL FOR THE SIDE STRINGERSSTRINGERS AFTER MODELLING IT.

Railings are also a little jumpy and inconsistent.

CAN YOU TRY THE CURVED ONE USING YOUR METHOD? .....! But I agree the jumpiness of the stair tool. Programming the workflow solves a lot of difficulties in chief, but all uses the tools they provided.

post-2517-0-58757400-1456273292_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-89794200-1456273306_thumb.jpg