suspended ceiling "drop in" panels

Larry_Sweeney

How does one go about showing a suspended ceiling with "drop in" panels that protrude below the metal grids? I have never had to deal with this type of ceiling with CA before. I'm not even sure if it"s possible, but I hope so. I have a very large basement remodel (wine cellar, refreshment area, game room, media room and workout room) where the customer wants to see the look of some very high end drop ceiling possibilities. (if there is such a thing) I might have put my foot in my mouth (which I do far to often :) )  when I said "no problem".

I would think of creating it with a repeating image, like how Chief handles ceramic tile. Find an image of the product you want to use, then create a border on two sides (to be the metal grid) and then create a new texture for it. Then apply the correct size vector grid to the material to reflect the size of the tiles. Does that make sense?

Hmmm - I would of thought this would have elicited more responses as this is basically a variation of the coffered ceiling of which Chief has a couple of videos and some help articles.

Another approach is to use elevated overlapping distributed regions at 90 angles. But the math is cumbersome because you have work out the spacing vs size of the panels/rails. The advantage is that the panels & rails  will report to the material list if defined properly. A disadvantage is that it covers up the floor plan so probably needs to be on a detail.

Sorry for not chirping in before this. I was out of the office most of yesterday. What I gather from what is being said is that first build the grid system them make a symbol for the panels---correct? The only problem I see using a symbol for the panels is that you might have to custom make many panel symbols for one ceiling depending how the panels "work out" around the outside edge and how the room is shaped, but I don't really see another option. This would be especially true in my case where the panel protrudes below the grid system. This was my original conclusion before making this thread. I'm not sure what I was hoping for other than another option or "magic trick". Thanks for your input and have a great day.

The only problem I see using a symbol for the panels is that you might have to custom make many panel symbols for one ceiling depending how the panels "work out" around the outside edge and how the room is shaped, but I don't really see another option.

You should be able to use one panel symbol for all the tegular tile.  Simply add stretch planes and resize for the perimeter cuts.