X1 Vs X7, Which To Learn First?

milestown

I own and am starting to learn with a version of X1 but am tempted to jump into the X7 trial.  I'm curious what has evolved from X1 to X7 and what all I'm missing out on in that gap (besides having an extra 2 grand in my pocket :-))  I like that X6 and higher allow me to run on a mac, I currently boot in windows solely for X1 purposes and use OSX for the rest of my virtual life.

My primary use of the product beyond my own projects is that of a contractor in Montana.  I mostly do egress windows and doors as well as foundation replacement underneath existing buildings.  I do egress windows from excavation to trim and sometimes I'll frame if I'm there doing the foundation.  As I do bigger residential and light commercial jobs I need to be able to submit proper plans and the ability to show a client what I'm selling them with the 3d graphics is amazing as we all know but I basically need to produce documents for permits and wow clients with some basic visuals.  How basic is X1 compared to X7?  Is X7 just more updated with third party add ons and more detailed features?  Are they fundamentally different in any ways?

Thanks in advance, your time is appreciated!

go straight to X8 as David said

X1 is approaching "antique" status

X4 introduced anno-sets

if you are doing full con docs then you want anno-sets

so many other features introduced since X1 it would be a large list

CA does have a monthly payment plan

Lew

X1 still works as it was designed to but so much as been added to the program since then (it could fill a thick book). Whatever you do, dedicate yourself to really mastering it, the world does not need more slightly trained and incompetent people, what we need is more dedicated, competent professionals, be one.

DJP

Both X1 and X7 will have a learning curve for a new person who hasn't used CA before.  It would make more sense to try to learn X7 or maybe even X8 over X1.  If a person learns X1 and then purchases and start using X8 at some point, they will be stuck learning all of the new features that have come in to play since X1.  I am currently in the process of learning how to use CA myself.  A lot of the training videos you will find on YouTube are most likely going to be done with newer versions of CA like  X8, X7 and X6.  You can purchase Chief Architect Premier X7 or X8 (Beta) through a monthly rent-to-own program.  I believe you pay $199 a month for 15 months and then the software is yours to keep.  That is what I am doing.  I started investing in it back in October.  The rent-to-own program is ultimately what sealed the deal.  Before I purchased CA, I was looking into different 3D architectural drafting and design programs.

milestown

I agree with Scott,.... i'd go straight to X8... the improvements are vast

I'm Design/Build... so my proficiency is not the same as it might be if I spent full time doing just design

But I have been using this program since version 5..

after so many years I make it a habit to upgrade with each new version... it always seems to be worth it

the basics pretty much remain the same , but the enhancements are always worth it

once you get current, the annual SSA fee becomes minimal

I used to do my training in Maine with Berryvale... after Steve left I continue with my training at ChiefExperts.com

I agree with Scott as well, go straight to X8.  Learning an old version of the program could really prove to be pretty counterproductive should you choose to upgrade (the program has changed drastically along the way), and due to "advances" in computer and software technology, older software versions are slowly becoming obsolete and unusable on newer systems.